Intake manifold seal

Classic short-frame models

Intake manifold seal

Postby Mark.A » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:56 pm

I am just concerned about the sealing of manifold to cylinder head as one of my heads has lost some metal at the o-ring groove.I was reading on the xl forum about two wraps of electrical tape to help sealing or go with the later type of bands.Hey what about heat shrink wrap they do make 2 inch.Any input on this would be appreciated
Mark.A

Re: Intake manifold seal

Postby curiousgeorge » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:39 pm

Depending on how much metal is missing would determine my decision. I use just over one wrap of tape. I wrap the manifold while off with the sticky part out and give it an extra 1/4 in. and when I apply the tape I try to stretch the tape to make it as smooth as possible. If too much metal is gone, enough to allow the o'ring to be pushed or protrude into the intake tract I would recommend using the plastic adapters that fill the ledges and give a smooth transition from head to manifold and then use the bands. When using the bands I prefer the OEM style split clamps and do not, I repeat, do not over tighten the clamps.
curiousgeorge

Postby curiousgeorge » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:43 pm

I should have noted the part about the tape on the manifold is to get the correct length, then sticky side down when applying.
curiousgeorge

Postby jOe » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:33 pm

I’ve used the black electrical tape on intake manifolds since 1969. I’ve had chips out of the ports on a few but I don’t recall having a problem with them sealing. There’s no substitute for manipulating the heads to fit the manifold as tightly as possible though. It’s not the greatest engineering design ever to come out of the factory, I’ll favor the K gland nuts every time. As far as the clamps go, early style,late style, aftermarket ,they all stink.
jOe

Postby Mark.A » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:03 pm

Hey Curiousgeorge and Joe thanks for the input on this.The damage to one head is just a chip about 1/8 inches.I did line up manifold and heads Best I could plus have a air cleaner support.But i will go for the tape and give it a try
Mark.A

Postby mikeslemmon » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:10 am

Sporty Parts sells a set of manifold clamps and seals made just for this problem.
mikeslemmon

Return to 1957 to 1969