Motor Clearance and Upper Motor Mount Washers

Classic short-frame models

Motor Clearance and Upper Motor Mount Washers

Postby Zaemo » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:40 pm

I struggled for quite a while with the clearance of the rear rocker cover and the rear tank to frame boss. I had a mere 1/64" or so which then also caused problems with the tank mount flange. After a bit of adjusting and fitment, it still seemed wrong. I had dire visions of the frame being bent and having the wrong heads etc etc etc.
At Davenport I found a pair of rocker covers with part numbers on them so I decided to revisit this. After some thought, I noticed that the James Gaskets I used below the cylinders were quite thick. Then I measured the new style neoprene head gaskets; also very thick compared to copper gaskets. Then I wondered about the rocker gaskets. After looking in the book for the part number, I realized and remembered someone saying there wasn't one early on.

After getting the original thin paper cylinder base gaskets and returning to copper head gaskets and removing the rocker gaskets all together, I have what looks like "normal" clearance.

This brought me back to my upper motor mount. Does anyone have a good picture of the order of the washers and mount and frame and nut? I got like three different washers per the book but the blow-up doesn't really show me.

Here is Jack R's. I grabbed this at the meet. I may not have the correct top washer.
Thanks!
Z
IMG_4075.jpg
IMG_4075.jpg (320.85 KiB) Viewed 8926 times
Zaemo

Re: Motor Clearance and Upper Motor Mount Washers

Postby hennesse » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:43 pm

Zaemo wrote:At Davenport I found...

Hey Chad - it was nice to meet you at Davenport - you usually find stuff there! And you're in the photos!

Dave
hennesse
Site Admin

Postby DaveC » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:11 pm

Dick,
Good post on the XL Forum. One trick I have learned over the years on motor in frame installation is as follows. I lay the completed motor on a pillow (or similar padding) on its primary chain side, then place the frame on the motor. I install and tighten the rear motor mount bolts, then install the front motor mounts. Once this is complete the top mount bolt and spacer washers slip into place nicely. I use a chain hoist to assist in this process.
DaveC
DaveC

Postby Zaemo » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:12 am

Thanks guys. I'll be doing this again when my cases come back from Mr. Arno.

Z
Zaemo

Return to 1957 to 1969