Top end rebuild

Classic short-frame models

Re: Top end rebuild

Postby EKHKHK56 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:22 pm

Always disliked chrome on the engine inside parts... :shock:
EKHKHK56

Postby Mark.A » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:00 am

Hey guys thanks for all the replying .I did called the Harley shop on the paint they can order it in 26.95 a can.It looks like cast iron guides and Kibblewhite valves.
Mark.A

Postby hayleyl » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:19 am

Ouch...I would be a bit grizzly if that happened to me. Why would Manley do that? - it doesn't make sense from a metallurgy perspective. I've always used nitrate steel in all rebuilds from my '37 Norton to my '80 Iron Head. Never used stainless - maybe I've dodged a bullet there. Good info' if though they're a crap product. Does anyone know if S&S still supply ironhead valves? Cheers Hayley.
hayleyl

Postby strong56KH » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:51 am

New Castle Harley has it for $20.11. Probably the best deal if you are having it shipped.
https://shop.newcastlehd.com/part/98660-78
strong56KH

Postby sportsterpaul » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:41 am

I assume they chrome stainless vales because stainless galls so easy, that was the problem gun manufacturers had with stainless. They could mess with alloys, but I suspect to get the high-temperature performance Manley was stuck with alloys that galled. I agree with Erik, keep chrome plating out of the engine. How many of us have seen a beautiful gearcase cover at a swap meet only it has been chromed, inside and out, and that chrome is pealing, inside and out. Don't chrome aluminum, except maybe billet, and even then, a nice polish looks as good, and you can always fix a ding, unlike if it is chromed.

55panman, did you get the frame I sent you that FedEx lost? I send you private messages and its just crickets chirping. I would be nice if you at least acknowledged getting it, after FedEx lost it for two months. Since they didn't charge me, I am not even expecting you pay shipping.
sportsterpaul

Postby thefrenchowl » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:05 pm

Don't confuse S/S valves with forged S/S valves...

The forged ones in my KHK have been there for 25 years or so, never wear, never gall... Unbelievable...

Patrick
Flat Head Forever
https://web.archive.org/web/20071011184353/http://www.harleykrxlrtt.com/index.htm
I'm the one who has to die when it's time for me to die so let me live my life the way I want to...
thefrenchowl

Postby sportsterpaul » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:14 pm

Oh, that makes sense, the forging would flow the grain lines and I could see that might help with galling and other things. Still, my hot rod buddies say the best thing about stainless is its high-temperature properties. But that is more important in nitro and alcohol burning engines, where the valves take a lot of abuse.

Good to know yours hang in there-- everything should last 25 years.

55panman, thanks for the private message. Folks, it looks like FedEx lost the frame, it sat in Salt Lake for a few months, and finally did get delivered. They knew enough to call me verify it was my frame going to 55panman. Panman was at Bonneville and getting re-situated in the mean time. I will use UPS for frames from now on. I once bought one that was just a few wraps of that clear shipping plastic, where they taped the shipper. UPS delivered it no problem.
sportsterpaul

Postby JohnF » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:21 pm

There appears to be some confusion between the abbreviations used within the preceding posts: S/S meaning stainless steel as a material, and S&S meaning the Smith & Stankos engineering, design and manufacturer of high quality performance parts for V-Twin motorcycles.

Another point: Don't confuse high quality manufacturing chromium with commercial "look pretty" chrome plating. They are two very different processes for two distinctly different reason. Example; chrome valve stems are never chrome plated. Rather they are made with higher percentage chromium metal in the material composition.

If a valve stem had peeling chrome, then it was an inferior manufactured and cheaply processed product made by a irreputable supplier.

Been around all types of internal combustion engines and related engineering and manufacturing for nearly 60 years and never saw OEM parts peel chrome off of components. I have seen high chromium content parts wear, never peel a plating.

Just my observations.
JohnF

Postby 55panman » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:36 pm

JohnF, As I SAID, I don't know if Manley makes those valves anymore, BUT they used to sell a stainless steel valve that had Industrial Chrome Plated stems. Those are the valves I had trouble with back before I learned about the plating. Most of us been around engineering and engines all our lives. Close to 60 years for me too. I've been building race engines since the late 60's. Seen a lot of parts go bad that shouldn't. Once had the hardness peel off a pinion bearing on a Pan like as if you put scotch tape on it and peeled it right up. And as Patrick said forged stainless valves are good. Have successfully used them in Evo drag engines long term. Headquarters have some excellent ones. By the way Patrick, had my 1955 Panhead at Bonneville for the bike meet and set a new record of 140.6 on gas and 139.5 fuel. The salt wasn't great and I actually had some traction problems for the first time. Fun ride though.
55panman

Postby 55panman » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:42 pm

Sportster Paul, Yes, thanks again for that frame. I have shipped and received a frame with UPS with nothing more than a single 1 foot to 1 1/2 foot wrap of cardboard on it to attach a label to. They had no trouble shipping it that way.
55panman

Previous

Return to 1957 to 1969