Tillotson throttle travel

Classic short-frame models

Re: Tillotson throttle travel

Postby jOe » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:30 pm

I think this was primarily a design problem of putting a snowmobile carburetor on a motorcycle. Tampering with throttle linkages always needs tobe approached with extreme caution.
Whenever it starts to rain, my right hip reminds me of that. ('56 FLH, jockey shift, Tillotson , almost 50 years ago)
The last few degrees aren't going make that much difference anyway.
jOe

Postby ThumpStreet » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:51 pm

Thanks for all the replies and check list tips.The travel issue has been solved.Tom L. from Mass. asked me to check the inner cable diameter due to the replacement cable I installed was aftermarket.The aftermarket inner coil was significantly smaller in diameter than the original inner coil..042" aftermarket vs..055" stock. I dug out the original throttle cable from the removed parts box,measured for correct diameter,cleaned lubed and installed.Having an original sized and possibly a stouter alloy inner coil was about 85% of the issue.With the wire flex reduced, then a couple of details such as clamping and distance of outer coil to throttle shaft arm per FSM, the throttle now has not only full travel from idle position to WFO it also has nice smooth action.I am appreciating member's points of view that have stated that even the simple engineering requires acquired finesse to make for optimal operation.Peter
ThumpStreet

Postby Lisa » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:39 pm

ThumpStreet wrote:Thanks for all the replies and check list tips.The travel issue has been solved.Tom L. from Mass. asked me to check the inner cable diameter due to the replacement cable I installed was aftermarket.The aftermarket inner coil was significantly smaller in diameter than the original inner coil..042" aftermarket vs..055" stock. I dug out the original throttle cable from the removed parts box,measured for correct diameter,cleaned lubed and installed.Having an original sized and possibly a stouter alloy inner coil was about 85% of the issue.With the wire flex reduced, then a couple of details such as clamping and distance of outer coil to throttle shaft arm per FSM, the throttle now has not only full travel from idle position to WFO it also has nice smooth action.I am appreciating member's points of view that have stated that even the simple engineering requires acquired finesse to make for optimal operation.Peter
Tom L is Lisa
Lisa

Previous

Return to 1957 to 1969