H-Model bracket/bosses for oil tank/tool box

Classic short-frame models

H-Model bracket/bosses for oil tank/tool box

Postby xlh59 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:25 pm

Hello to all,
finally the missing parts for my 59XLH arrived to convert back to the original oil tank/tool box. I have an all original, correct date (J8) code XLH frame, where the only modification is, that the mounts were cut of to mount an XLCH oil bag. Unfortunately when I "restored" the bike in the 90s, I even cleaned the remains of the tabs for a "original" XLCH look.

I would need the original dimensions and positions of the "ring bracket" (oil tank) and the two threaded bosses (tool box). The frame will be cleaned completely and I intend to silver braze the tabs back on. I think this information would be helpful for not only me, as it was a common modification. I checked thoroughly in the web but could find this info.

Thanks!
xlh59

Re: H-Model bracket/bosses for oil tank/tool box

Postby EKHKHK56 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:34 pm

Hi. Well you are looking in the right place. I built a jig 25 years ago. Locates and holds blocks & ring, for welding. Do you have the tabs?
EKHKHK56

Postby xlh59 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:02 pm

The tabs were gone, when I bought the bike ... only ugly remains, that I "cleaned". I made a few very stupid mistakes these days, but in 92 an 59XLH was not so "desirable" and allowed to be "butchered". Anyway ... so I will produce the tabs and braze them back on.
xlh59

Postby EKHKHK56 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:55 pm

Get with me if you want use my jig. Have blocks and rings also if needed. Erik K
EKHKHK56

Postby xlh59 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:47 am

Hi Erik,

thanks for this nice offer ... the problem is, that I am located in Germany. Do you reproduce the blocks and rings? THX, RAlf
xlh59

Postby EKHKHK56 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:41 pm

I have some I removed from a K chopchopper frame. They are the early 5/16" should bore and tap 3/8" NF for stronger larger studs. Jerry R here at the site had made some up for sale years ago. I can provide 2 original blocks and ring and lend you my jig if you need. No problem. Erik K. Hey, I used to live in Germany! ;)
EKHKHK56

Postby xlh59 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:33 pm

Hey Erik, thanks for the info and offer. I think shipping a jig to germany and back to the US would be a bit to much. I checked my parts and basically the position of the "wedding ring" is determined by the bracket and the two mounts under the seat casting. The bosses are a bit more tricky as only the srew with springs on the engine case gives the position. But I think I could manage that with the original parts ... where did you live in Germany? I just came back after 5 years from a developing country and its just crazy how clean and organized everything is ... almost scary!
thanks to all
Ralf
xlh59

Return to 1957 to 1969