Identify Sportster Cams?

Classic short-frame models

Re: Identify Sportster Cams?

Postby Ferrous_Head » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:46 pm

What your aiming to build is what we call a “happy Motor”. That basically means all of the combined parts work correctly in conjunction with each other to produce the desired out come.

I tell people they need to decide what;s most important to them first. There's a huge difference between full race engines and stockers (or less than stock). And there's a huge difference within race engines depending on what type of racing is to be done.
Street engines with a bit more “pep” are race engines. But built for different purposes than full on racing engines, so different goals mean different components.

If I had a set of minus minus cams and Branch ported heads I would save them for a stroker project. They will not work for what you want with this engine.
Stock Sportster heads flow well enough for street riding as they are. In fact I believe the ports are too big for stock displacement. Going for more air flow will hurt in exactly the area you will want the engine to shine.
2 inot 1 exhausts are always the way to go. For performance at any rate if not looks. If you have a set of good P cams already I would use them. The PB's are a little better but harder to find. Not worth paying $400 for. There is no difference between a fixed mag and an advance/retard setup though that will make life easier when it comes to starting.
Carburettors are always a debate. I think the S&S Super B looks the part on an old CH, is as simple as a rock, are cheap to buy and easy enough to tune. If you buy one with a Super bowl it will have an accelerator pump which helps a lot with starting the beast.
For a street engine people normally want the torque down low. That means smaller ports and higher compression ratios. So the Branch heads and minus minus cams don't really fit.
The engine I just described will make over 60 BHP if built correctly. It will not embarrass you at any time and will be fun to ride.
"I know only too well the evil that I propose, but my inclinations get the better of me."
Ferrous_Head

Re: Identify Sportster Cams?

Postby wallaman » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:46 am

Been out of town most of the week so just had a chance to catch up on posts here. Appreciate all the replies. After researching more and hearing the input here, thinking I will go with the P cams. If anyone is interested in the Siftons before I send them to Fleebay, give me a shout via PM. Open to offers.
wallaman

Previous

Return to 1957 to 1969