joe's stroker

Classic short-frame models

Re: joe's stroker

Postby jOe » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:47 pm

I tried. And failed. Sent them to the PC and still couldn’t shrink and upload. I can text and email them ok. I’m still trying to find a good source of information for setting that Mikuni.
jOe

Postby wz507 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:01 pm

Which Mikuni are you running?
wz507

Postby jOe » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:54 pm

It's a big Mikuni VM. No i.d. on the body. I'm not sure which end to measure it to come up with the VMXX number . The outer side would take a 70mm velocity stack , if that's a clue.
I know very little about these and have no sources of jets,needles or other parts locally. The main needle is clipped on the second groove from the top. I don't know what the jet size is. I moved the clip down one groove,but couldn't get it to fire-could have been another issue (moved it back to where it was)
It seems to run OK with the choke lever down. It runs slightly worse with the lever up. I'm not sure if the float level is correct. I had it running with the air screw 3 turns out and the front plug (Champion J8C) was black/fluffy after a while. Idle screw position seems OK. Timing is good , or as good as it gets considering there's not a timing inspection hole
Note; I've just been idling it for periods of 5-10 minutes at a time and the ambient air temperature around here was 103F today. It idles fine and winds up fine. It's definitely running on the rich side, but that's fine for a tight,fresh motor right now.
I've cleaned and blown out all the passages. It should be starting more easily and probably will after I can find a good source of information and parts. Kicking that thing in 100F+ temperatures is not a lot of laughs.

Pictures: text me at 714-345-5627 and I'll send pictures.

By the way, don't let Mike's modesty fool you . He made it happen. He follows the Universal Truth of the XLCH. Ignore his advice at your own peril. (Voice of Experience)
jOe

Postby jOe » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:58 pm

forgot---I turned the air screw in so it was 2 turns out. Still ran OK.
jOe

Postby jOe » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:37 pm

This morning I got Sportsterzilla fired up after tinkering with the carb. Some observations;
A. I moved the clip on the main needle down one groove.
B. The air screw needs to be 3 turns out
C. It was 87F
D. After warm up (see item C) no choke, idled nicely with very minor adjustment
E. I ran up the rpm’s to around 2000-2500 and made some stabs higher ~3000 +/-
All sounded fine. No backfire, coughing or sneezing.
F. Starting is still difficult. However, I have a small spray bottle and after a few squirts of gas
spray, it started right up. The starter plunger on the carb didn’t seem to do anything, unless
I’m using it wrong.

I took some good video with sound if anyone wants to analyze how it’s running.

Any tips will be greatly appreciated
jOe

Postby thefrenchowl » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:12 pm

If all else is running fine/OK and it's still hard to start:

This indicate you iddle mixture is too lean.

Try to enrich it a bit while lowering the slide a touch to compensate for the extra richness.

For easy starting, iddle should always be set a touch rich to encourage the engine to start instantly...

If your slide is too high to compensate for a lean iddle mixture, it encourages the engine to kick back and then you'll blame the bl**dy ignition which has sod all to do with it...

Patrick
Flat Head Forever
https://web.archive.org/web/20071011184353/http://www.harleykrxlrtt.com/index.htm
I'm the one who has to die when it's time for me to die so let me live my life the way I want to...
thefrenchowl

Postby jOe » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:25 pm

The slide was adjusted 3 turns out. Backing it out to where it’s fully down is around 5 1/2 turns. It idled well at 3 turns.
I cleaned out the plunger and associated passages.
By the way, when I had the carb off I measured the I.d. manifold side of the bore =41.5mm. There was also 401 over a 4 stamped on the body. So that may provide an identification clue.

So cold start, choke depressed or up? Plunger? Slide position?
jOe

Postby jOe » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:19 pm

The thermometer says 105F , just about sea level with maybe 4% humidity. I started it a few minutes ago . No choke, no plunger,slide still in the same position. I did use my sprayer to get some gas in it. It ran solid, once it’s running all’s well. It should start more easily, but it doesn’t. ??

When it fires there’s a huge sense of satisfaction- like a good day at the dollar slots.
jOe

Previous

Return to 1957 to 1969