K and Early XL Fork Leg Bushing Service

Good places to get work done

K and Early XL Fork Leg Bushing Service

Postby EKHKHK56 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:37 pm

Does anyone know a shop doing 33.4mm fork bushing R&R & fitting? I know about the home made ways but if someone knows a shop with the old H-D pullers and reamers that's more efficient. Many dealers sold all that type stuff off. Also need good bushing source of course. I believe Bill's Custom Cycles may still. Vtwinmfg maybe. Any help would be great. Have a friend building a pair of 68-69 forks down south. Are the tubes any different 68-69? From pre 68? My books run out at 65 right now. TIA! Erik K
EKHKHK56

Re: K and Early XL Fork Leg Bushing Service

Postby Vintage_hds » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:50 am

There is a shop in Superior Wisconsin that is nationally known for their work. It is Advanced Cycle Machining. Contact Dan Kucharyski, manager. Phone number is 715-392-5795 and view their web site at www.advancedcyclemachining.com. Send the set of tubes you plan to use and they will fit them to the bushings. He has a source for the bushings and new tubes if you need them. They do not use a ream in their process because they see too much variation in the tubes. They fit with a Sunnen hone. Dave B.
Vintage_hds

Postby EKHKHK56 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:31 pm

Great to know. Thats the way to do it! Thank you.
EKHKHK56

Postby dr dick » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:16 pm

EKHKHK56 wrote:Does anyone know a shop doing 33.4mm fork bushing R&R & fitting? I know about the home made ways but if someone knows a shop with the old H-D pullers and reamers that's more efficient. Many dealers sold all that type stuff off. Also need good bushing source of course. I believe Bill's Custom Cycles may still. Vtwinmfg maybe. Any help would be great. Have a friend building a pair of 68-69 forks down south. Are the tubes any different 68-69? From pre 68? My books run out at 65 right now. TIA! Erik K

there are 3 different designs of the 1.312 dia tubes
52-67
two different lengths were avail.

68-70
again two diff lengths avail.

71-72
only the long length were offered.

if you want your fork to ride well the tubes, springs, dampers, and lower legs must be of matching vintage.
dr dick

Postby Lisa » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:45 am

If anybody needs the lower boot retainer that is pressed into the leg there are sets on E Bay for sale. Rare item & hard to find
Lisa

Return to Reliable and Reasonable Resources