Inlet pipe nipple leak!!!!

Production K Models

Inlet pipe nipple leak!!!!

Postby garbln » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:52 pm

Gentlemen,

I am seeking your advise on this problem after trying a few fixes on my own without any success.
I recently bought a nice 56 KHK that ran well but had a bit of a hiccup in the mid range, the previous owner warned me that there may be an intake vacuum leak so he was honest with me so I have no problem with him so no bitches about him. Having never owned a flat-head before or even a Harley for that matter I set up the pressure test setup seen on a few web sites and tried the test at 10-15 psi and sure enough leaks around the intake nipples and nuts. After pulling everything apart re assembling with peek bushings I still have leeks and it seems like the pipe nipple threads in the cyls are the problem. I am open to any suggestions, help.

Gary
garbln

Re: Inlet pipe nipple leak!!!!

Postby Lisa » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:38 pm

Try wrapping the fittings with Teflon tape then tighten them good and tight - Bingo no more leak. My opinion
Lisa

Re: Inlet pipe nipple leak!!!!

Postby themike » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:34 pm

Try loosening the nipple nuts then barrel nuts to just enough to allow movement when you retighten nipples. Retighten nipples first then barrels. If the nipples were too far out of alignment the first time you tightened them you may have to replace the bushings. Use a small amount of Never Seize( a thick lube for threaded fittings such as spark plugs to keep them corroding and getting stuck)'
themike

Return to K, KK, KH, KHK