jOe

Re: Rust removal from inside of gas tank

Postby jOe » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:44 am

I'd also do it in a laundrymat
jOe

Postby GaryM2 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:59 pm

Hi guys,

Old topic that I was researching on the site. Since this was from 2016, I was checking on updates:

Has anyone had personal experience using the tank liner chemicals since this 2016 thread and can offer updated opinions please?
1) Red-Kote
2) Por-15
3) Kreem

I was lucky to find a 1957-1958 original gas tank and I am in the process of bead blasting it, and will need to remove some rust/gunk from the inside (not too bad in there) and then finish the inside.

Also, any advice on how to pressure test it for leaks?

Next question: Other than looking at different 1957 tanks, are there prints or measurements for painting the 2 panel colors so I can make sure where the paint line goes in the right spot on the tank ends and where the line crosses under the emblem.

Were the tanks painted a full solid color first and then the other color on the top or bottom? It almost looked that way when I blasted the tank.
Last edited by GaryM2 on Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GaryM2

Postby Lisa » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:19 pm

Best way to remove rust from your gas tank is pointed fish tank gravel 2 cups full in tank dry then wrap tank in comforter or moving blanket to make secure in dryer run through 2 to 3 full cycles with heat off. Remove tank and wash out with water and set in sun or blow dry BINGO looks new....... If not repeat until it looks that way. SIMPLE or go through a bunch of foolishness and have it done in over a week fooling around. Your call.
Last edited by Lisa on Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lisa

Postby Ferrous_Head » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:47 pm

Only just read this thread.

From my experiences (I'm in Australia too)

The best method for cleaning rust and rubbish from gas tanks. Molasses ,believe it or not. It does take some time. Badly rusted tanks may take you a week to clean. But when your finished there will be nothing but bare metal left. it works better than any of the acid or alkaline chemicals I have tried. Google it. No harsh chemicals, no BS, the stuff just works.

I tried the KBS system (3 part process) and followed their directions TO THEE LETTER I mean OCD style followed. The coating was applied to a steel tank I used on a race bike. I never used anything but Unleaded gas. 100 octane Shell A intended for airplane use supplied in new 20 Litre drums. No ethanol or Methanol ever went near the tank.
The lining failed within 12 months.

Don't line your tanks, clean them with molasses every couple of years if you need to.

Molasses is very cheap. Buy a small jar and mix it with hot water (about 25% molasses to water.). Throw some rusty old junk in there, nuts bolts whatever you have and try it. Then come back and tell me about your "Blast Off" Hydrochloric/Sulphuric acid bases chemicals and two hundred hours of shaking a tank with gravel.bolts inside compares.
"I know only too well the evil that I propose, but my inclinations get the better of me."
Ferrous_Head

Postby Lisa » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:56 pm

Do it the way I explained and your done in less than 3 days cleaned dried and sealed ready to go. Your call.
Lisa

Postby Model H » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:39 am

I just cleaned two double bung tanks last week.

I filled both with white vinegar, let them sit one week in a 60 degree basement.

Drained, put a handful of bolts in, filled half hot water and some dishwashing detergent.

Shook for 5 minutes in all directions, I was very happy with the results.

I used steel plugs, didn't want to damage the petcocks.

I cant comment on sealant, never had to use it.
Model H

Previous

Return to K, KK, KH, KHK