53K Wheel Bearings

Production K Models

Re: 53K Wheel Bearings

Postby hayleyl » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:53 pm

Hello all - DIN metric standard - Timken are the best bar none. Yes they are Australian and Timken have been making bearings since 1899 so I figure they've got it right by now. My advice - do not compromise on quality when it comes to wheel bearings on a motorcycle. Quality wheel bearings are your friend. Cheap bearings are not your friend. I have use Timken bearings in all my scooters over the years both on the track and road, never any issues even in situations where they are seriously abused. You should be able to source a Timken agent in your area, probably be an industrial/engineering componment supplier. Cheers Hayley.
hayleyl

Postby sportsterpaul » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:31 pm

And note that most sealed bearings from a jobber are not pre-greased, you need to get a needle on a grease gun and fill them up. I do like the idea of sealed bearings. I used to use high-pressure car wash wands to clean my bike, it washed every bit of grease out of the front wheel bearing on my 1979. Now I just wipe them down and never take a hose to them. The same washer made the primary oil milky white after the water blew into the long wet-clutch adjustment bushing.
sportsterpaul

Postby EKHKHK56 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:47 pm

As in prelubed but not packed?
EKHKHK56

Postby sportsterpaul » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:54 am

As in prelubed but not packed?

No, as in bone dry. The counter guy saved me, saying the bearings came dry. When I asked why he said there were lots of different greases, and they sold them dry so I could use whatever grease I wanted. I asked how the heck to lube a sealed bearing and he got out a needle that clicked into the grease gun. Then he showed how to pry up the rubber seal a bit and squirt in the grease. Then he sold me the needle. I think I still have it somewhere.

Now if the bearing says "pre-lubricated" I am sure it is, but 20 years ago there were sealed bearings that were sold dry.
sportsterpaul

Previous

Return to K, KK, KH, KHK