Wheel Part Help

Production K Models

Wheel Part Help

Postby Mayday53 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:50 pm

Hell all, it has been awhile since I posed a question. I am finishing the wheels on my 53 K Model frame. I have a couple questions:

First, I have looked all over for the missing parts and cannot find them. I was actually surprised Toms NOS did not have them since they have been a great source.

Second, I am using new generation, sealed bearings in lieu of parts 9009 and 9010. How critical are the 41205-52 spacers? It is safe to assume they were there fo a reason, was it because of the old style bearings or is it a clearance issue? If the latter, any suggestions on alternatives if I cannot find any NOS originals?

K Model Rear Hub parts.jpg
Missing parts circled in
K Model Rear Hub parts.jpg (94.97 KiB) Viewed 11313 times

K Model Front Wheel Parts.jpg
Missing parts circled
K Model Front Wheel Parts.jpg (123.03 KiB) Viewed 11313 times

K Model Rear Axle parts.jpg
Missing parts circled
K Model Rear Axle parts.jpg (90.33 KiB) Viewed 11313 times

My goal is to have the bike at a show and swap meet this summer...it has been almost 3 years of work to get it to this point and I am getting excited to ride it!
"Mayday"

"Respect is given, disrespect is earned"
Mayday53

Re: Wheel Part Help

Postby EKHKHK56 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:12 pm

Great work. And lots of it. I haven't studied this yet but have an idea. Basically spacers are used to shim bearing assemblies so there is no extra load on them when the axle is tightened or free play L to R. I would study everything closely and see what happens on first set up using spacers to eliminate side play or eliminate unwanted preload. Not much help but let us know how it works out. :D
EKHKHK56

Postby sportsterpaul » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:14 pm

Yeah, second that. Realize that when you tighen the axle, you are clamping the inner races to that big center spacer. You can't put load across the bearing, but you can't have it sloppy either. So put it together adn see if the hub slides side-to-side with a thunk, 50 thousantsh gosh forbit. I am sure the goal is to get it more like 10 thousandths.

41226-52 is called a grease retaining ring. The front hub I have seems to have it, its just a a little sheetmetal cup, but I don't want to bash it out just yet.

Dude, how hard are you looking? Here is an OEM 41205-52 on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HARLEY-41205-52 ... 1590360921
sportsterpaul

Postby mikeslemmon » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:45 am

sporty parts has the spacers and probably the shield too
mikeslemmon

Postby Mayday53 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:40 pm

sportsterpaul wrote:Yeah, second that. Realize that when you tighen the axle, you are clamping the inner races to that big center spacer. You can't put load across the bearing, but you can't have it sloppy either. So put it together adn see if the hub slides side-to-side with a thunk, 50 thousantsh gosh forbit. I am sure the goal is to get it more like 10 thousandths.

41226-52 is called a grease retaining ring. The front hub I have seems to have it, its just a a little sheetmetal cup, but I don't want to bash it out just yet.

Dude, how hard are you looking? Here is an OEM 41205-52 on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HARLEY-41205-52 ... 1590360921

It does appear to have side to side movement and after putting all the brake housing covers etc on...it still has about 1/2" or so from the end of the axle bolt threads to the cover. Something is amiss and I am doing more verification of the set up since the only thing I show missing is those two little spacers.

Just prior to positng I looked on ebay and did not see that...I searched by part number and by "K Model Parts." Curious, how did you ask for the search for it?
"Mayday"

Mayday53

Postby EKHKHK56 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:58 pm

The previous links are still working. I clicked on them and the spacers are listed.
EKHKHK56

Postby Mayday53 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:07 pm

EKHKHK56 wrote:The previous links are still working. I clicked on them and the spacers are listed.

I saw that, I was just "wondering out loud" why I could not get them to come up on my searches before you posted it.
"Mayday"

Mayday53

Return to K, KK, KH, KHK