K head "gaskets"

Production K Models

K head "gaskets"

Postby hennesse » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:21 pm

My understanding is that K-models don't have head gaskets, you simply paint the mating surfaces.

So what kind of paint? Hi-temp engine paint like VHT? Hi-temp paint made for headers? Copper Spray-A-Gasket?

Do you paint the heads? The Cylinders? Both?

Enquiring minds want to know...
hennesse
Site Admin

Re: K head "gaskets"

Postby Maxcapacity » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:39 pm

Hi Dave, Here' the technique I use.

Lap the head using a piece of 600-1000 grit wet or dry (depending on how flat it is to begin with) laid on a piece 1/4" plate glass. Then I paint just the head with aluminum high temp paint like you would use for exhaust headers or aluminum propane cylinder paint in a spray can. I'm not sure the "high temp" property really makes any difference. I think the suspended aluminum is probably the "active" ingredient.

Best,
Greg
Maxcapacity

Postby EKHKHK56 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:16 pm

Surfaces must be flat yes! I just used the same high heat on the cylinders and on the deck sutface with no problem. You want good quality extra high heat header paint though. Go with a few coats. The original H-D aluminum paint was thick.
EKHKHK56

Postby thefrenchowl » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:18 am

High temp silver or black in a tin, small brush, coat both sides, wait till sticky to the finger, assemble.

Don't overdo thickness of coating, it will squeeze out inside the heads and can melt on the 1st few revs and come between valves and seats, happened to me once...

Even on the supercharged KHK, one thin coat on both surfaces is enough.

Patrick
Flat Head Forever
https://web.archive.org/web/20071011184353/http://www.harleykrxlrtt.com/index.htm
I'm the one who has to die when it's time for me to die so let me live my life the way I want to...
thefrenchowl

Postby EKHKHK56 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:55 am

Yes that's proper with thick high temp paint. Last time I built an engine I couldn't locate any pre Internet! The VHT did ok. So now I took a look and there are all kinds of brush on paint. Noticed POR20 good to 1400 degrees.
EKHKHK56

Return to K, KK, KH, KHK