55 K fork tube lengths

Production K Models

Re: 55 K fork tube lengths

Postby JerrryR » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:30 pm

Hi,
Your frame neck appears to be a -55 which just doesn't make sense with a L5 date code. Can you post a picture of the date code and possible the whole frame? I don't know if you want the input so my apologizes in advance for my comments about the frame. The front crash guard boss appears to be ground down and the "steering damper anchor hole" appears to be ground off the neck casting as well. I don't recall if you said you were trying to do a restoration or just a period looking rider? Something else that caught my eye and I am curious about, the top of the neck just under the cup papers to have had some welding and grinding done on it? If you provide the first two of your motor VIN we can probably tell you if your frame date code is reasonable. Again an L5 doesn't make sense because it would be for a 56K with the raised neck.
JerryR
JerrryR

Postby Nightrain00 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:17 pm

So, the date code is not real easy to see in person and impossible to see in a pic. But I am very confident that it is stamped L 5.

Any input is welcome, I'm trying to learn as much as I can about these. My initial thought was that there was some stuff done to the neck area on this bike, but I am not familiar enough with them to say definitively. I suppose cleaning all the paint off would give me more answers.

As far as my plans for the bike, very short term is to get it running and ride-able as is. Then as quickly as funds, time, and parts availability will allow, make it a period looking rider. In the long term, I would love to eventually do a correct restoration.

The first 2 of the motor vin is 17. My thought was that the frame was made in December '55 and the bike was then built and sent to the stealership in '56. But I don't know if that is plausible or not.

I finally got the hang of posting pics, (I think) so if you would like close-ups of something let me know.

Any help offered is greatly appreciated.
Nightrain00

Postby Nightrain00 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:34 pm

Just for the heck of it, this was the day I brought it home.
Attachments
IMG_5348.JPG
IMG_5348.JPG (138.99 KiB) Viewed 6006 times
IMG_5351.JPG
IMG_5351.JPG (160.62 KiB) Viewed 6006 times
Nightrain00

Previous

Return to K, KK, KH, KHK