KH Basket case advice - new to k models

Production K Models

KH Basket case advice - new to k models

Postby Lukeyk » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:29 pm

Hi guys im from London England, i used to own a 1966 xlch and have other vintage HDs.
ive recently bought a KH 1954 basket case and need some advice on getting hold of engine parts. All i currently havr is cases heads and cylinders - so no cams, gears transmission fly wheel pistons etc.. do you guys have any advice on obtaining parts other than ebay... heres a pic of my project
Attachments
IMG_5571.JPG
IMG_5571.JPG (199.7 KiB) Viewed 12201 times
IMG_5572.JPG
IMG_5572.JPG (117.18 KiB) Viewed 12201 times
IMG_5576.JPG
IMG_5576.JPG (240.11 KiB) Viewed 12201 times
Lukeyk

Re: KH Basket case advice - new to k models

Postby Maxcapacity » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:24 pm

Welcome to the board. I recognize that one from Instagram earlier in the week.

Piecing one together is a challenge, and it will be tougher in the UK, but there are guys on this board in the UK who may be able to provide leads. My best advice is prepare for a long, expensive journey. Parts for these are relatively scarce and you're missing all the harder to find (and consequently more expensive) stuff. Generally speaking, when you find parts you need, buy them even if the price seems high (within reason). Prices are consistently trending higher so waiting generally doesn't pay off.

Good luck, and don't hesitate to post questions, etc. here. It's a great resource.
Maxcapacity

Postby Lukeyk » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:18 pm

Hey mate, yeah cheers for that theres the exact fly wheels i need on ebay with the rods i should probably buy em! I paid $900 for that lot is that reasonable? Also i was given an early ironhead frame this morn for free!
Lukeyk

Postby Maxcapacity » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:09 pm

At 900 you probably did alright. There's that much in parts if the cases halves don't need additional repair, and if the cylinders aren't worn out beyond re-bore limits. Head cracks are common, but fairly easy to repair.

Unfortunately eBay is probably the most accessible source for parts, but caution is in order. As these bikes have gained popularity it is very common for savvy sellers to add "K Model" to their listing title to draw additional attention to Sportster parts. Some of the early Sportster chassis parts do interchange but not many engine parts do. Don't take it for granted something is a K Model part just because the listing says so. Be sure you know what you're buying based on the photos, casting numbers and other details.

Good luck!
Maxcapacity

Postby JohnF » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:16 pm

Best advice, download and print out the parts book from our Literature section, or buy one off eBay. Go through the book carefully listing EVERY part number you know is needed. Put these in a spreadsheet listing p/n, name of part, and leave room for adding date bought, price paid, from whom, from where, date of purchase, date of receipt. Sounds like a lot, but you'll appreciate it later. Oh yeah, add a column for New, Used, or OEM Original, or Aftermarket.

I too have a 54 KH in restoration mode, though mine was nearly complete from original owner. Still, I found many parts on eBay mostly through a saved search titled Harley K Model. I do get some crap tossed in, but easy enough to get through that. From those hits, I save the ones who are genuine and add them as Followed Sellers. When finding something your interested be sure to check out their Other Items. There are several Sellers that are shop owners. Don't be afraid to call them for parts your looking for. Many are good resources, as are folks on this site.

When I get a few minutes, I'll start a list of sellers I like. Many are in the Ohio and Pennsylvania area, one in Morgan City, LA who has lots of OEM parts. Little pricy but has them and good to work with. But then I speak his lingo since I lived in LA for several years doing oil field work. Most of my resources are in USA, many will ship to UK.

There is a set of flywheels and rods on eBay now for about $400 US. Look in useable shape.
JohnF

Postby Lukeyk » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:16 am

Thanks guys. Yeah i just bought that fly wheel assembly so a step forward! I see v twin have a bit of reproduction parts available. Found a few contacts with cams. What are the hardest parts to find?
Lukeyk

Postby Mayday53 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:59 am

In my experience...the ones I need right away! Ha!

Good luck with your project!
"Mayday"

"Respect is given, disrespect is earned"
Mayday53

Postby JohnF » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:54 pm

Sheet metal parts are difficult, horn systems are pricy when you can find them, shocks (OEM) and front legs, wheels/rims, speedo's, ignition/light switches, tank emblems, may be others.

Still, things can be found. Big meet in Davenport the end of August/September is good for finding stuff, if you KNOW what you need and can identify them.

I plan on going this year.
JohnF

Return to K, KK, KH, KHK