SPOKE HELP AGAIN

Production K Models

SPOKE HELP AGAIN

Postby Mayday53 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:49 pm

Ok, so in September last year I had a discussion regarding proper spoke lacing for a 53K rear wheel; the original wheel according to the previous owner. The spare parts manual says I need 8.5" spokes for non-sprocket side and 7.5" for the sprocket side. When I ordered the spokes, Buchanan's sent me 8.5" and 8.0" saying those were correct for that wheel. Well, after several discussions,we thought the spare parts manual was right. Now, after a few months delay working on the wheels (other bike priorities), I got back to the wheels and we are having issues getting them trued. I contacted Buchanan's again and I am even more perplexed...well lacing should be simple right? (said nobody...ever!)

Here is the issue (in addition to my stress levels) with this wheel:
I had the sprocket side laced using 7 7/16" spokes crossing over 2 spokes on the "outside lace" counter-clockwise. However, when we tried to true it, the threads stuck through the nipple about 1/5 to 1/4 inches into the tube channel. I contacted Buchanan and they (Angel) said to lace the sprocket side outside lace "crossing 3" spokes and switch the outside spokes to clockwise lacing. So I did that, but the 7 7/16" outside lace is not long enough to reach the nipple threading. SOOOO, I tried the 8" spokes they originally sent me and it worked...sort of...it only works if I still use the 7 7/16" for the inside spoke; if I use the 8" spoke I run into the previous issue, it also protrudes nearly 1/4 inch beyond the nipple end in the tube channel.

I know this is getting windy...just trying to get my wheel done so I can start riding the bike this summer.

Spoke length issue.JPG
Over-Length example
Spoke length issue.JPG (64.02 KiB) Viewed 26371 times

HUGE REQUEST:

I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE IT IF SOMEONE PLEASE SEND ME A PICTURE OF THEIR CORRECTLY LACED 53K REAR WHEEL?
"Mayday"

"Respect is given, disrespect is earned"
Mayday53

Re: SPOKE HELP AGAIN

Postby Mayday53 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:00 am

Upon further review.....I thought, what about the Gallery photos? I found the pictures I need there. Thanks to this website I will have something to show the guy helping me true the wheels now.

Thanks
"Mayday"

Mayday53

Postby starcain » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:25 am

Mayday53, If I remember correctly you were working on 18" wheels. Here are a couple of pictures of an 18" one I have. If for some reason you have 19" wheels or would like a different angle shot let me know and I will try to provide that for you.
Stan
Attachments
18 inch Rear Wheel Left Side.jpg
18 inch Rear Wheel Left Side.jpg (384.2 KiB) Viewed 26333 times
18 inch Rear Wheel Right Side.jpg
18 inch Rear Wheel Right Side.jpg (365.13 KiB) Viewed 26333 times
starcain

Postby ambike » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:20 am

Book shows 8.5 & 7.5 for 19 " rim. Yes ?

To my crossed-eyes, those wheel pics look like both sides use Cross-4 . ????
ambike

Postby starcain » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:08 pm

That is correct. 18" wheels cross 4, After further review 19" wheels cross 3 on the left side and cross 2 on the hub side. 7 1/2 " spoke on hub side 8 1/2" on the left side
Last edited by starcain on Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
starcain

Postby ambike » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:21 pm

OK, but you know two different patterns were used ?

The tire on the KHR-TT sure looks like 18 ". Possibly has heavier-duty spokes, so Cross-3 worked better.

Is May's rear rim a 19 " ?

There is something wrong here....if it's a 19 " rim , why did Buch's sent 8.5 " & 8 " lengths. Is the Harley book in error ?

All spokes on any one side should have the same lengths.

If both wheels were disassembled, maybe the rims have been swapped !
ambike

Postby starcain » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:21 pm

Nope, didn't know there were two different patterns. I thought Mayday53 is working with 18" wheels. I had an 18" laced up to an early hub and that's the pattern it has. Maybe he will post an update. Just checked out the '54 KHRTT. Sure looks like a 400-18 tire so 18" wheel laced to an early hub. Spokes do appear to only cross 3. Not sure what to think about the differences between his wheel and mine. All I know is that's the way I got the wheel way back when. I guess one more mystery to deal with? They never end!
starcain

Postby Mayday53 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:49 pm

My wheel is a 19" and the cross three works, I think...I still get extra thread past the nipple in the rim channel for some reason and the spokes are congruent with the parts manual requirements of 8.5" and 7.5"(actually I am using 7 7/16" spokes).

I am headed to shop now to try and make it work again.

Tis' a labor of love!
"Mayday"

Mayday53

Postby ambike » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:25 pm

If you're reading.....

If things don't work out snap a few good side views of the assembled wheel(s).

Also, make sure the front rim is not being laced to the rear hub, etc. !

Per your photo, that's too much thread protruding. A ** small ** amount of extra can occur because Buchanan spokes will be somewhat longer vs. shorter.
ambike

Postby Mayday53 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:44 pm

ambike wrote:If you're reading.....

If things don't work out snap a few good side views of the assembled wheel(s).

Also, make sure the front rim is not being laced to the rear hub, etc. !

Per your photo, that's too much thread protruding. A ** small ** amount of extra can occur because Buchanan spokes will be somewhat longer vs. shorter.

---------------------

I just finished again...it is a cross 3 lace pattern on the non sprocket side and cross 2 on the sprocket side using 8.5" and 7 7/16" spokes. The nipples seem to align with holes well but the threads still stick through in the channel. Interestingly, it is only the "over the top" laces on each side that stick through the nipples. I am at a complete loss right now wondering if it is not the original wheel the original owner told me it was.

Also, I believe the hubs are correct based on what I pulled form the original...what would the difference be in the lacing? The front hub is laced fine with the only exception being the nipples on a few are at an angle and the inside channel shoulder of the nipple is raised a bit...but that is on a reproduction rim though.

I searched and searched for a new real wheel rim without success but it may be time to look again to see if it will work.
Rear Wheel Lacing (June 10, 2017) (1).JPG
Sprocket side
Rear Wheel Lacing (June 10, 2017) (1).JPG (41.43 KiB) Viewed 26218 times

Rear Wheel Lacing (June 10, 2017) (4)_LI.jpg
Sprocket side...long laces circled
Rear Wheel Lacing (June 10, 2017) (4)_LI.jpg (61.94 KiB) Viewed 26218 times

Rear Wheel Lacing (June 10, 2017) (2).JPG
Rim picture...original rim?
Rear Wheel Lacing (June 10, 2017) (2).JPG (32.12 KiB) Viewed 26218 times
"Mayday"

Mayday53