Front mount Morris magnetos

Production K Models

Front mount Morris magnetos

Postby jOe » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:52 pm

Has anyone had any experience with the front mounted magnetos that Morris sells? Function, installation, etc?
jOe

Re: Front mount Morris magnetos

Postby 53modelkhd » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:23 pm

Call "Desh" at Morris Mag Morristown, New Jersey. 973 540-9171
53modelkhd

Postby Ferrous_Head » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:20 pm

Yes, I have one on my racing sidecar. To my mind well worth the money. A very well made magneto. Dave uses rare earth magnets in his and they throw a MUCH better spark than the worn out old FM's most of us use. While I had the bike up on the dyno one of the plug leads (on the cap) came out. Rod, (my passenger) brave man that he is picked it up and stuck it back in. But while doing so we discovered the thing threw a 6 inch spark in air. Fred the dyno operator was very impressed. And he runs mags on his drag bike.

Installation is simple and I have pics from when I did mine. The gear fir is extremely good (on mine at least) and there was very little backlask between the mag drive gear and no 4 cam gear.

You do have to take a dremel or air grinder to the boss where the original dler gear sits. But it's no big deal. Other than that it's pretty much plug and play.

I also opted for a pair of the ingle fire modules. I have twin plugged heads. I run pretty high compression on a engine that runs on Methanol. I needed/wanted the best ignition system I could get my hands on. At any price.

I believe I have that ignition system.

I have seen SO many races lost over the years due to inadequate, poor, poorly maintained, worn out, battery operated ignition systems than probably any other part on an engine. I will be shocked in the extreme if this thing ever lets me down.

5 Stars.

"I know only too well the evil that I propose, but my inclinations get the better of me."
Ferrous_Head

Postby jOe » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:58 pm

Thanks!
jOe

Postby thefrenchowl » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:05 pm

Nice piece of engineering, FE, but my way was probably 10 times cheaper!!!

Patrick
Flat Head Forever
https://web.archive.org/web/20071011184353/http://www.harleykrxlrtt.com/index.htm
I'm the one who has to die when it's time for me to die so let me live my life the way I want to...
thefrenchowl

Postby ambike » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:41 pm

Yes. Beautiful minds / well thought-out.
ambike

Postby Ferrous_Head » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:20 pm

These are really only meant for racing bikes. You lose, of course, The ability to run a generator. And they don't look "just like a FM" so for restoration work they aren't the answer.
But if you intend to race one of these things I don't believe there is a better solution.
And before you go suggesting electronics let me say I have been down that route. Mallory make a good one but it's still Battery Operated - just like a lot of my toys are.
But I don't ride my toys around at 100MPH with an engine that shakes worse than Michael J Fox on a bad day. Batteries fail.

I aso run pretty high compression ratios and Methanol so I need something that won't "blow out" at higher rpm's. And I am sorry, but that's what they do.

I could get a tad more accurate timing and a rev limiter to boot - so I would use them if I could.

So these are really meant for serious racing and there's nothing out there better at the moment. Be surprised if there ever will be,
"I know only too well the evil that I propose, but my inclinations get the better of me."
Ferrous_Head

Postby Ferrous_Head » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:24 pm

This is where that engine lives now.

Ferrous_Head

Postby ambike » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:56 pm

First :

Wish the Sportsters ALWAYS start question would vibrate AWAY. Maybe it's my Parkinson's and I can't shake out the correct !@$$##@% answer.

OK...

What's been done to the motor mounts ?

Specifically, at the front.
ambike

Postby thefrenchowl » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:30 am

Nice piece of equipment, FE, lots of wishes for this season!!!

Patrick
Flat Head Forever
https://web.archive.org/web/20071011184353/http://www.harleykrxlrtt.com/index.htm
I'm the one who has to die when it's time for me to die so let me live my life the way I want to...
thefrenchowl

Next

Return to K, KK, KH, KHK