SaddleBag repair?

Production K Models

SaddleBag repair?

Postby Mayday53 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:37 pm

I have a set of original K-Model saddle bags, they are original to the bike I am getting running. However, one has a corner "crush hole" and the other has a cracked lid with about a 1'x1"x2" triangular piece missing.

Any ideas or experience out there on how to repair them ?
"Mayday"

"Respect is given, disrespect is earned"
Mayday53

Re: SaddleBag repair?

Postby chuckthebeatertruck » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:20 am

Yes, they can often be repaired. Post a photo so we can see how bad the damage is. What follows below are some generic hints. While I have personally used these techniques, every bag I've worked on presented a unique challenge.

Original hd bubble bags are royalite, an early type of abs. The rivets are also common items if you need to replace any in the lids. There is no effective way I know of to thoroughly make repairs and keep the original pebble texture. Thankfully, sem makes a product for texturizing repaired plastic parts, including abs. It isn't going to get you a 100 score from a judge, but it's darn close to the right appearance.

Step one is to thoroughly clean and degrease the bags. Next drill small holes at the terminus of every crack you find. Dents can be heated with a heat gun and gently worked out a little bit at a time. You've got to let the plastic set after heating so you don't over stretch it and create another issue. For holes and extensive breaking, I use layers of jb weld, building from the outside in, just as you'd fill a hole in metal with weld. For the missing triangular section, you can build it or you can cut a piece of abs to fit. Abs molds relatively easily with a heat gun. Cracks can be glued up using abs cement from the home store. The small holes you made will just get filled in by the abs cement. After everything dries, you sand and lightly fill with skim putty. Clean the bags with plastic prep. Then spray with sem plastic tecture paint and top coat with their bumper black in semi gloss.
chuckthebeatertruck

Postby Dirty dave » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:47 pm

Best place to get fiberglass fixed is a boat yard . Som of them guys are real good
Dirty dave

Postby Mayday53 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:42 am

Been swamped lately...Thanks fellas...
"Mayday"

"Respect is given, disrespect is earned"
Mayday53

Postby GaryM2 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:06 pm

Here are some of the rocket emblems on the royalite bags.

Does anyone know how to restore the mirror-like chrome finish on the metal? I tried polishing and it looks like I went down to a dull gold type of color. Is there anything I can use to get the chrome look back without removing them from the bags?

See my other set of bags. They are white bags, with the chrome finish on the emblems. I know the emblems are supposed to be painted, but someone did a great job using red and black pin striping tape to restore the old painted rocket details.

see pics.
Attachments
image1.jpeg
image1.jpeg (70.23 KiB) Viewed 10561 times
image2.jpeg
image2.jpeg (78.79 KiB) Viewed 10561 times
image4.jpeg
image4.jpeg (56.56 KiB) Viewed 10561 times
GaryM2

Postby chuckthebeatertruck » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:57 am

Gary:

What you are seeing is the nickle layer under the chrome. it oxidizes to the buttery yellow you see. You can try to polish it back to more of a silvery finish with something like flitz, mothers, or semichrome.

You can get it to shine; but it won't ever look "restored" unless you literally have them rechromed.
chuckthebeatertruck

Return to K, KK, KH, KHK