KHK Top O/H

Production K Models

Re: KHK Top O/H

Postby Simon » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:06 am

Nice - I believe I saw that project on the Facebook Velocette page.
Simon

Postby starcain » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:41 am

George, The K's all used two compression rings so that is normal. The oil control ring in the picture is a U-Flex ring and is junk. The picture is out of a 1956 K parts book. The drawing of the oil control ring didn't get updated when they changed over to the 22355-52A and then to 22355-52B. You can access all the parts books on the website in the literature section. Stan
Attachments
Image1a (Copy).jpg
Image1a (Copy).jpg (289.7 KiB) Viewed 12744 times
starcain

Postby Geodoc » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:49 pm

starcain wrote:George, The K's all used two compression rings so that is normal. The oil control ring in the picture is a U-Flex ring and is junk. The picture is out of a 1956 K parts book. The drawing of the oil control ring didn't get updated when they changed over to the 22355-52A and then to 22355-52B. You can access all the parts books on the website in the literature section. Stan

What I'm talking for the double compression ring is not the 2 total rings in 2 separate lands. Its that the upper land had 2 rings in it, each one about half the width of the ring that is supposed to be in there. I've never seen anybody do that before.

Geodoc

Postby EKHKHK56 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:07 pm

Remember. SILVER Cylinders if going for Korrect. I have KH cylinders in stock if needed. The seat is nice, but later Sportster option which is generally acceptable..
Erik K
EKHKHK56

Postby EKHKHK56 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:21 pm

The double ring sounds like an attempt at a "gapless" ring. Haha. But might work? Someone had plenty of later thin rings and used them on wide ring piston sounds like. Another note, the old style rings pass more oil helping bore and piston longevity. But Hastings 3 piece rings are ok for short stroke or easy Stroker riding. Better oil control and such. With high revving KR or working a KHR around a track I would prefer the extra oiling of old style rings.
EKHKHK56

Postby EKHKHK56 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:31 pm

I don't pick on anyone's bike but a couple notes since this one looks so close to complete. I only see a couple things. Short rear fender and case covers should be lightly polished entirely, not just the ribbon like 53 and older. The rear fender is available and is about 95% same as 56 and up stock.
EKHKHK56

Postby Geodoc » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:21 pm

EKHKHK56 wrote:Remember. SILVER Cylinders if going for Korrect. I have KH cylinders in stock if needed. The seat is nice, but later Sportster option which is generally acceptable..
Erik K

Heh Eric,

I PM'd you with my email address.

George
Geodoc

Postby Geodoc » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:58 pm

Here's the shop otherwise known as "The Garage Mahal" or Tom's Temple of Torque". The engine case on the stand in the foreground is a 1935 Rolls Royce, in for complete overhaul. Behind the KHK is shop owner Tom's Bonneville record holder Triumph Trident (201 MPH). Behind that is Tom's 1950 RR Silver Dawn.

I have a little nook in the opposite end of the shop and fiddle with my stuff in there.

Geodoc

Postby starcain » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:52 pm

George, Looks like you might get hooked up with Erik on some KH cylinders. Just a point of interest, the bottom vale covers you have pictured with the cylinder are early covers '52 to early '54. Not sure how correct your trying to get but the valve cover pictured here is what should be on a late 1954 to 1956 KH/KHK. The top cover looks to me to be the long one which would be correct. Since you have the top end off maybe Erik has some late valve covers as well.
Stan
Attachments
54-56 Valve Cover.JPG
54-56 Valve Cover.JPG (25.63 KiB) Viewed 12696 times
starcain

Postby Geodoc » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:32 pm

Heh Stan,

We were looking at the printed matter that came with the bike and that includes a cross section of the valves, valve springs & tubes. They were very different and turns out that the printed matter is for a KR by the notes in it. The upper tubes on this one are apparently installed under a flange on the valve guide. The valve guides are not worn enough to need replacement on the cylinders we have, but what comes with the cylinders that Erik (hopefully) comes up with is of course not known, so we'll see. I'll pass that detail on to the owner, but like I told Erik, he's got this project and a complete Knuckle engine and gearbox with extensive repairs and overhaul that's almost done for violent amounts of money, so it might have to wait.

As an aside, here is one of the heads that got cleaned up and it's the "Circle 'E'" item with raised cast -52. It seems from looking at a different thread here that this is the right head for the KHK if I have it right.

George

starcain wrote:George, Looks like you might get hooked up with Erik on some KH cylinders. Just a point of interest, the bottom vale covers you have pictured with the cylinder are early covers '52 to early '54. Not sure how correct your trying to get but the valve cover pictured here is what should be on a late 1954 to 1956 KH/KHK. The top cover looks to me to be the long one which would be correct. Since you have the top end off maybe Erik has some late valve covers as well.
Stan
Geodoc

PreviousNext

Return to K, KK, KH, KHK