59992-52 License plate support

Production K Models

Re: 59992-52 License plate support

Postby EKHKHK56 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:33 pm

Mike also mentioned early 52 only Fender Struts like on my Rio Blue one.
EKHKHK56

Postby starcain » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:25 pm

The picture posted of the the K Model from the September 1952 (Not 1953) issue of the enthusiast is certainly a depiction of an early 1952 K and not a 1953. The way I see it it has the welded fender strut supports, (at least looks like to me), 1952 only handlebars with the big bulky throttle and spark control mechanisms and no grip end plugs, no raised bead around the bottom of the rear fender and as Vintage_hds pointed out that oddball exhaust support bracket. All being attributes of an early 1952 K. My opinion, this depiction should not be confused as being a 1953 because it is not. I have added a couple of close up pictures of that early exhaust support tube that is on the 1952 K museum bike. Not sure how much actual support it would have given considering the only clamp attached to it was the muffler clamp and what a clamp that was. Anyone ever seen one of those? The thread got a little confusing as two different support brackets were being discussed. Lisa, I am assuming that you were referring to your 1955 KH as having the extra license plate support bracket on it? I looked in the September 1954 issue announcing the 1955 models and can see that the depiction of that "55 KH shows the license plate support bracket on it. With that and your confirmation I would have to say that the '55s had the support bracket and the 1956 parts book is in error. One might ask why would you believe the 1955 depiction and not the 1953 and that would be a valid point. The 1955 depiction clearly shows attributes that are known to be 1955 as the tank trim, sprocket cover and the bobbed front fender. All changes from 1954 so to me, Believable! Also attached is a picture of a 1953 KK (serial number unknown) that we saw in Oley in the mid 1980s. Not sure about the paint but the rest of it was definitely unrestored. It shows the license plate support bracket. This bike was owned by a fellow whose first name was Rodney. Anyone happen to know him. Would love to take another close kook at that bike. I'm going to go with a fair amount of confidence then that the license plate support bracket was used on 1953,1954 and 1955 models. Any thoughts?
Attachments
52K Exhaust Bracket.jpg
52K Exhaust Bracket.jpg (317.49 KiB) Viewed 12416 times
52 K Exhaust Bracket Left.JPG
52 K Exhaust Bracket Left.JPG (51.92 KiB) Viewed 12416 times
Rodney's 1953 KK.jpg
Rodney's 1953 KK.jpg (183.59 KiB) Viewed 12416 times
starcain

Postby Vintage_hds » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:59 pm

Hey...Wow! Look at those pictures that starcain posted.

First I apologize for hijacking this post but sometimes I can't help myself.

But that rear muffler clamp has two bolts, one to tighten the clamp on the muffler and the other to connect the clamp to the support tube. The one that attaches to the support tube is at 45 degrees (???) to the bolts that fasten the tube to the frame. This is the only tube with that arrangement that I know of. This can be clearly seen in both pictures; one from each side. None of these parts (tube and muffler rear clamp) are depicted in the 1953 parts books. So when the '53 parts book was issued on October 15 1952 (at the beginning of the '53 model year) this arrangement was already replaced with the two hole support tube that we have all come to know and love. That is the two hole tube where both the muffler and the muffler front clamp are attached to the tube in the same plain as the support tube to the frame (90 degrees). So I might "speculate" that the support tube and the two bolt rear muffler clamp were '52 only or part year '52 but definitely not '53 due to the date of the '53 parts book.

Looking back on the picture that Jerry posted of the September '53 K we can see that the visible bolt on the rear muffler clamp does not line up with the tube. The second bolt (not seen in that picture) from below to the tube explains why this appears that way in Jerry's picture.

Also note the stand-off between the muffler clamp and the support tube. Is that part of the support tube or is it a separate spacer. It kind of looks like the spacer between the frame and the support tube. If so it is part of the support tube. Could be...maybe??? More questions......No answers...my apologies...but only starcain's pictures to go from. Maybe EKHKHK56 can look at his original paint '52 and let us know and also where in the serial number line-up it is in the '52 model year.

Thanks and Happy New Year to all :-)

Dave

Dave
Vintage_hds

Postby EKHKHK56 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:56 pm

Be glad to check it out and forward photos. Erik
EKHKHK56

Postby thefrenchowl » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:22 am

Hi all,

Funny how "restorers" can't see the bigger picture, analyse factory pictures or what's in front of them shouting ""I'm here, look at me"" while they concentrate on secondary trivia...

It seems obvious to me that the early fender is not strengthened with the big stamped reinforcing plate underneath (lack of rivets on the fender...)

It then follows that an extra bracket for the number plate would have been useless on that early fender, never mind if the number plate is breaking up or not.

It also follows that as soon as the fender reinforcing plate and its rivets appear (corrective action against previous fender breaking up, not number plate braking up...) the extra number plate bracket could be added and actually appears...

Patrick
Flat Head Forever
https://web.archive.org/web/20071011184353/http://www.harleykrxlrtt.com/index.htm
I'm the one who has to die when it's time for me to die so let me live my life the way I want to...
thefrenchowl

Postby JerrryR » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:27 am

Erik asked me to post these pictures for him.

Erik 4.jpg
Erik 4.jpg (72.12 KiB) Viewed 12320 times

Erik 2.jpg
Erik 2.jpg (64.29 KiB) Viewed 12320 times

Erik 3.jpg
Erik 3.jpg (66.42 KiB) Viewed 12320 times
JerrryR

Postby EKHKHK56 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:01 am

Dave at Vintage H-Ds. Will this view help? Thank you Jerry. Erik
EKHKHK56

Postby Vintage_hds » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:34 am

Hi Erik & Jerry,

Thank you for posting the pictures.

The support tube shown in these pictures is what I believe to be the second version, the 1953 version, with two tall standoffs for muffler clamp attachment. It appears (can not tell for sure) that all four of the standoffs are in line; that is horizontal to the ground when the bike is standing straight up with two pointed inward for attachment to the frame and two pointed outward for muffler attachment. The picture of the 1952 above shows three standoffs with only one for muffler attachment and that one is pointed out and down to the ground. I am going to ask my buddy Kurt to bring the one I sold him back so I can take some pictures. I made a rough sketch so that I can identify the different support tubes when I am shopping at the swap meets. But it appears that there might be another difference that I missed. If so, I will report when I post the picture of Kurt's support tube.

Dave
Vintage_hds

Postby ambike » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:59 pm

Instead of doing an endless series of Wall Street scams involving stock repurchases & related, the MoCo could reallocate some of their mega-millions and tool up a specialty fab shop.

The process is basic : Place order with print / pattern / sample, send payment, and wait for re-Made in America.

It only takes money, desire, and varying degrees of talent. Under present conditions, rules, & laws, mega-hours of productive talent vaporize each week.

USA has been sold out for too long, and for the wrong causes by drunk, drug-addled scumbagger lawyers & monopolist banksters. The majority have been proven to be afflicted weaklings.

Most of the true words with exact phraseology relating to the above will be held in check.

I will say at some point worthless eaters cannot be supported by taxing workers, machinery, & inventory in multiplicative ways day after day, year after year. Therein lies the problem why inexpensive parts become too expensive to be recreated in a commercial venture. Working & accomplishing used to be enjoyable. Today, the situation is a drag & enslaving.

In the real world there's No Free Lunch.
ambike

Postby EKHKHK56 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:04 pm

Interesting about the '53 looking part. For only K #67X not even half through the run. It also has Speedster Bars, stronger Swingarm, Late 53 Head Lamp indicators...all that looks old and original. Of course it could have heen crashed and fixed w newer parts. The Speedsters are BigTwin I suspect. Feel great.
EKHKHK56

PreviousNext

Return to K, KK, KH, KHK