KH Piston Clearance

Production K Models

Re: KH Piston Clearance

Postby EKHKHK56 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:30 pm

Sleeving is not a problem, just don't let the new guy do it. Industry wide, it keeps stuff running. My guy uses something on sleeve outer when he heats, drops, presses them in that transfers the heat like it was one unit when done. I prefer Nickel, NyRod, to weld cast breaks. Preheat! Cool slowly. I don't like the idea of brass even if it's OK. You're at 1300 degrees in the exhaust valve area...Erik
EKHKHK56

Postby thefrenchowl » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:18 pm

Hi,

I've always liked my Ks running flat out, they love it...
So I've always went with what I see...

Who's ever heard of a sleeved KR???

They did spend countless hours porting their cylinders, they were beyond the price of gold for a good set but sadly, old racer's walls are full of KR +.040 cylinders that are DEAD...

If you plod along at 30mph, by all means, sleeve it...

But if you want to open the throttle, just find new cylinders, they are around if you look long enough...

One of the best KHK days for me was when, after running next to 10 years on +.070 bores with about 3 sets of pistons and 9 sets of rings, a friend located a pair of NOS cylinders which I promptly bought...

They are now on +.010 and I've got enough spare oversized pistons for the next 3 owners once I leave this earth...

Patrick
Flat Head Forever
https://web.archive.org/web/20071011184353/http://www.harleykrxlrtt.com/index.htm
I'm the one who has to die when it's time for me to die so let me live my life the way I want to...
thefrenchowl

Postby Geodoc » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:44 am

Well, things are finally progressing. Got the correct 71mm rings from Enfield so the end gaps worked out OK (originally goofed and sent 70's). The valve he sent had a stem diameter that was KR spec at .310" so this created a problem with looseness using the stock I.D. guides. Fortunately was able to have local machine shop guy install K-Line guide liners and bring the stem to guide clearances to the right value. So the barrels are on & and hopefully will have it assembled and fired up tomorrow.

Looks like tappet clearances are .004 & .006" for KH, same for KHK?

George
Geodoc

Postby Geodoc » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:38 pm

The KHK's finally coming together.

Awaiting intake manifold seals and done!

Geodoc

Postby EKHKHK56 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:26 am

Yes George, on the cold valve clearance. Definitely check/readjust after 500-1000 miles. After that follow schedule. The 56KHK looks very good, nice to have those high quality pistons and valves. Was wondering if you degreed the cams with wheel, most accurate way to know exactly if they are timed. She's really going to run once broken in. Those KHK jugs have huge ports compared to the K jugs that came off.
EKHKHK56

Postby GuS » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:12 pm

George.
Thanks for sharing the info on Enfield piston size vs temp.

To seelve or not to...
Ditto to what Erik says. Let somone with knowledge do the job.

If I could choose, I would avoid doing it on the K with intake seat so close to the bore.

But anything is possible.

If the cylinders are rare. WR or made of unobtanium I would consider hard chroming/Nikasil. But that is costing $$$

I have good experience «glueing» the sleeves with K-line fusion. Dont know if that stuff exists anymore. Been 10 yrs + since I bought a couple of bottles of that stuff

This one got these, seem to hold up good...

GuS
GuS

Postby Geodoc » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:53 pm

EKHKHK56 wrote:Yes George, on the cold valve clearance. Definitely check/readjust after 500-1000 miles. After that follow schedule. The 56KHK looks very good, nice to have those high quality pistons and valves. Was wondering if you degreed the cams with wheel, most accurate way to know exactly if they are timed. She's really going to run once broken in. Those KHK jugs have huge ports compared to the K jugs that came off.

Didn't have the timing cover off at all so the valve timing will have to be as it was unless there seems to be a problem. The owner is OK with breaking it in on the dyno. There's one we've used many times here that's a brake-type rather than inertia type so perfect for it. Will do that, then change oil & check valve clearances and head torque then the owner can take it away - finally!

Geodoc

Postby EKHKHK56 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:18 am

I would still do some heat cycles before running it up on the dyno. I just let idle, blip throttle a little till warm/hot than let completely cool. A few of those at least will ease break in. Dyno is good with load, never want to rev an unloaded engine. As we know, that's when they try to fly apart. Might watch ex temp, use heat gun, big cooling fan. If exhaust port is around 750 she's at operating temp. Over 900 or so too hot.
EKHKHK56

Postby Geodoc » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:08 pm

TJ's KHK is finished. Everything went fine on the brake-type dyno - showed 35 HP and 52 ft. lb. torque (about 10-15% less HP than what Dynojets show apparently). Starts easy, idles smooth and pulls like 99 mo-fo's according to TJ.

Last edited by Geodoc on Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geodoc

Postby EKHKHK56 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:20 pm

Very Good. I am glad to hear it turned out running well. My favorite engine. :)
EKHKHK56

PreviousNext

Return to K, KK, KH, KHK