1954 KH - 5 year owned, non-period correct build

Production K Models

1954 KH - 5 year owned, non-period correct build

Postby RunninWild » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:22 pm

I wanted to share the long story of my KH but I don't see many build threads on this forum so I hope this isn't out of place.

I was 23 and wanted to buy my first Harley. Searching craigslist with buddies and we came across a strange "model kh" in a Denvers chopper frame. It was right down the street from my house and seemed cheap so I went and checked it out. I had no idea what a KH was but next thing you know I'm pushing it down the road to my house while my roommate carries a box of parts. The bike was just a frame, forks, wheels, oil tank, and an engine. The engine had been rebuilt at a local shop in Boise, Idaho but hadn't been ran yet. It didn't have a title but the previous owner did provide a title from Arizona(I think) that dated back to the 90s. Basically I was in over my head.

The bike sat in my garage for awhile but I didn't do much with it. I ended up dropping it off at Wrecked Metals in Boise to have Matt Whitlock build it for me. Here are some pictures of what he built it into

I started the break in process after the bike was built but quickly ran into issues. The bike was extremely hard to start and once running it would "slip" once you hit 3rd and 4th gear. It's a bit sad but the bike ended up just sitting because of the issues. I moved from Boise to San Francisco and didn't have a garage or money to fix it so I lent the bike to a local store for their front window. It sat there until I got a garage and the spark to work on it again. At this stage I was familiar enough with choppers, K models, and what I think is cool that I was not happy with the KH in the big denvers frame. This is really the start of my current "build". Build used in quotes because all I'm doing is bolting shit together haha

I bought a 69 XLCH that was not 100% stock but had enough of the stock stuff remaining that I saw a good base plus it was running and wasn't overpriced. Plan was to do an engine swap with the KH and build it from there.

XLCH as I bought it

XLCH in the Denvers

I really like the ironhead in the denvers and would have loved to keep it but it's hard to have 2 old expensive Harleys and give each the attention they need so the 69 went to ebay.

Over the next year I gathered parts for the KH to get it to this current stage

I still have some parts I need/want but otherwise it's nearly there. I'm currently getting the front end situated and actually hoping for some help there. I have the 33.4mm on it and a high shoulder wheel with a spool hub(not pictured). The hub doesn't have an inner spacer and I don't have any outer spacers either. Is there any source to get these spacers or am I going to have them turned down for me? What is the actual diameter of the axle on these front ends? I feel like I'm going in circles trying to search for this number online and was hoping for a definitive answer.
RunninWild

Re: 1954 KH - 5 year owned, non-period correct build

Postby thefrenchowl » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:07 pm

These K are always the start of long journeys...

Keep the good work...

Patrick
Flat Head Forever
https://web.archive.org/web/20071011184353/http://www.harleykrxlrtt.com/index.htm
I'm the one who has to die when it's time for me to die so let me live my life the way I want to...
thefrenchowl

Postby sgtoepfer » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:50 pm

I’m pretty sure I remember seeing this bike in a shop window in SF, when it was still the KH in the Denver’s frame! Beautiful bike, and I actually figured out that Matt had done work on it. I’m mutual acquaintances with him and a couple other Boise guys.

I remember when you did the motor swap, and had I the funds at the time, I would’ve snagged that xLCH chopper as well from you.

Really cool to see the origin story on this bike... it was the first K I’d ever seen not on a track. Thanks for sharing!
sgtoepfer

Postby RunninWild » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:50 pm

Scott, yeah this is the one from the Self Edge window in SF. Weird how most of the K models you see on the street are in Japan and not here but I'm hoping to add one more!

I finally got a front tire for my wheel so it's sittin just a little bit better now

RunninWild

Postby EKHKHK56 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:40 pm

Good journey...almost typical! One of my 56KHK engines is out of the chopper going into all stock chassis. And the chop is now a 1959XLCH. The magic of bullet swapping pre 70 H-Ds
EKHKHK56

Postby RunninWild » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:27 pm

Progress! Still fighting to get the thing started but at least it looks cool!

RunninWild

Postby starcain » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:50 am

RunninWild, Does your '54 KH motor by any chance have a trap door?
starcain

Postby Otis » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:46 pm

Old Dude Vintage in Georgia is an excellent source for small parts like wheel spacers, hardware, etc. Extensive inventory and reasonably priced usually.
770-921-3825
Otis

Postby RunninWild » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:35 pm

Thanks Otis!

Starcain, my engine does not have the trap door
RunninWild

Return to K, KK, KH, KHK