Motor Sprocket Spring

Production K Models

Motor Sprocket Spring

Postby Mayday53 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:24 pm

OK, I need a bit of advice/help with a few things:

I replaced the primary chain on my 55 KHK and now I am having difficulty getting the Sprocket Shaft nut (PN: 24022-54) back onto the threading of the motor sprocket shaft due to the Motor Sprocket Spring (PN: 40302-52) tension not allowing me to compress it the ~1/4" needed to get the threading started.

Clutch assembly.jpg
Clutch assembly.jpg (76.97 KiB) Viewed 13193 times

I am also a bit concerned the Clutch Hub Lock Nut Washer (PN: 37533-52) appears to be in bad shape (see pic).

Clutch hub washer.jpg
Clutch hub washer.jpg (168.66 KiB) Viewed 13193 times

Lastly, for now, I saw an old trumpet "repop" on line and was wondering if anyone knows if there are any "repop" horns that are true replicas available out there? I am also looking for a "repop" speedometer option since everyone wants $800-1200 for an actual speedo, working or not. In the meantime, I will keep looking for a "reasonable" priced original (I know, not likely).

Any insight would be helpful since I only have the parts book and not a maintenance manual for the bike...if there is an all inclusive service manual out there, that would be nice to get access to as well!

Thanks
"Mayday"

"Respect is given, disrespect is earned"
Mayday53

Re: Motor Sprocket Spring

Postby EKHKHK56 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:54 pm

Not sure yet on spring. I don't recall having to pre compress them. On the Hub Nut Washer it's just a "Lock Tab". Pick the new spot on washer that corresponds with a flat and bend it over on to the flat. No repop Horns. Repop 57XL yes, than cut out wiggle and add the K 90° with conduit or similar tubing. Plate and go. Speedometer, no repops. Can fit compact like Drag Specialities used to sell. 2-1 ratio. Or most Japanese bikes had 2-1 if you have a bike boneyard near and just want something. The repop Dashes have a larger cut out than K. XL speedos fit them. Hummer ones are close, may just need Dial and Pointer changed. I have those. Ralph Dollarhite is a great restorer. He had K parts last time I checked, and Original Speedo Cables 52-55, 56 and up 1" longer I think. Erik
EKHKHK56

Postby EKHKHK56 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:58 pm

The Green Shop Dope book has service bulletins for K Models from H-D. No service book other than those for K. The -59 SPORTSER Service MANUAL is about 65% K motor friendly. Chassis, 90%...?
EKHKHK56

Postby Mayday53 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:58 pm

Thanks... now I need to look at that spring set up again.
"Mayday"

Mayday53

Postby starcain » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:24 pm

Hey Mayday53, any chance you have a Sportster spring instead of a K spring? I am not sure what the length is on a Sportster one but they kind of look bigger in the parts book. Anyway, here is a picture of the parts I believe would be correct for your '55. I don't have a 24775-54 sprocket shaft extension to show. Good luck
Attachments
'52 to'56 Compensating Parts.jpg
'52 to'56 Compensating Parts.jpg (401.68 KiB) Viewed 13100 times
starcain

Postby Mayday53 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:16 pm

It should be the correct one. I took it apart and it was fit properly before hand. Additionally, the original owner have the motor and he said everything in it was original.
"Mayday"

Mayday53

Postby EKHKHK56 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:21 am

Looks like the cover is about bottomed, and it won't start? Make sure compensator teeth are in valleys completely...I'll look at mine tomorrow. Erik
EKHKHK56

Postby Mayday53 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:07 pm

EKHKHK56 wrote:Looks like the cover is about bottomed, and it won't start? Make sure compensator teeth are in valleys completely...I'll look at mine tomorrow. Erik

Erik, the picture is from before I removed it to inspect it. Now I am trying to put it back on and the spring is not allowing deep enough thread grip...I am going to recheck it this afternoon to see if I have something wrong there. All I did was remove the cover and then try to replace it, so that is why I am scratching my head right now.
"Mayday"

Mayday53

Postby Mayday53 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:16 pm

Well, after another look, it was a simple fix for this simple knuckle dragger. The clutch knuckles were not fully seated and when I tapped them in, voilà it fit just fine. Yep, feeling kind of stupid about that one!
"Mayday"

Mayday53

Postby EKHKHK56 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:56 pm

Great! Nothing is easy in the mechanical world. That's why you judge mechanics by the size and variety of their HAMMER collection... :lol: Erik no it aint easy...or everyone would do it...
EKHKHK56

Next

Return to K, KK, KH, KHK