Fender and Chain Guard Fasteners

Production K Models

Fender and Chain Guard Fasteners

Postby Mayday53 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:55 am

I am finishing off my 55 KHK within the next month or so (before picture in barn-find section). I originally hired someone to take it apart due to a very hectic work travel schedule, but he "lost" or "tossed" a bunch of the small hardware because he "figured it would be easy to find anyway" and so I have had to research any missing pieces. That is why this site has been so valuable to me! Well, I am now looking for the fender(s) fasteners and wondering if anyone can share the original style/size/threading. I will be looking through the web this week but thought someone may have experienced this drill already and may have suggestions.

55 KHK Fender Snapshot.PNG
55 KHK Fender Snapshot.PNG (115.91 KiB) Viewed 11799 times

Part numbers are:
Fender Screws --------------------------2414W
Fender Support Screw -----------------4362
Front Fender Brace Bolt---------------3948
Rear Chain Guard Bolt-----------------953W
Rear Chain Guard to Frame Bolt -----3791

Thanks,

Mayday
"Mayday"

"Respect is given, disrespect is earned"
Mayday53

Re: Fender and Chain Guard Fasteners

Postby riverdog » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:56 pm

Hi Mayday just on me way out the door here, but did a quick search for the fender fasteners and came up with this..
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-59-78-K ... Lp&vxp=mtr
This seems to be the auction site for Colony itself so search around for the chainguard fasteners on other items im sure youll have luck
Bob
riverdog

Postby Mayday53 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:11 pm

Thanks Bob... I saw those but the years are off, which I’m finding is not Uncommon when working on this bike I guess. I will take another look at them.
"Mayday"

Mayday53

Postby riverdog » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:53 pm

OK here again, ah I see the years are off, but if u look at this set u see they are the same fasteners, im sure its a colony set as well
the years here include yours..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-K-Model ... 4~&vxp=mtr
riverdog

Postby Mark.A » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:41 pm

Hey Mayday53 some places I have found hardware is Olddude.com,Toms Nos parts.com and Red Raven Products.com . They all have bolts that are CP marked in park or cad The 2414w that you need should be a straight slot screw.They may be hard to find I think the repops are Phillips heads hope this helps. Mark
Mark.A

Postby Mayday53 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:53 pm

Mark.A wrote:Hey Mayday53 some places I have found hardware is Olddude.com,Toms Nos parts.com and Red Raven Products.com . They all have bolts that are CP marked in park or cad The 2414w that you need should be a straight slot screw.They may be hard to find I think the repops are Phillips heads hope this helps. Mark

Thanks Mark and riverdog. I was able to see the items you suggested and I actually found some stainless bolts that match at a big surplus hardware store here today. I plan to make the head finish look right and the rest is "behind the scenes" but serve the exact purpose. After looking at them closely I think they will be fine. I also ordered some other Colony bolts to ensure they were period correct looking.

In the end, it will be very close to original, BUT!...you will see when I post final pics, I have made a few finish changes on the bike for custom appearances...such as the rear fender supports, handlebars, crash bar, and fork lowers are all PC'd black. I tested a couple items first with the black and found I love the look with the Pepper Red and it would be quite easy to strip and chrome later since they are all original pieces. Just a personal choice I guess. I am also going with straight pipes and progressive shocks. All the original parts are shrink wrapped and stored in the event I decide to go full original.

Much appreciated.
"Mayday"

Mayday53

Postby starcain » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:04 pm

Original 2414W fender strut bolts are chrome with a fairly shallow radius on the head. You know you can find the size and thread style of fasteners in the back of the parts books. Once in awhile however there will be errors, in this case the parts book says the bolt should be 1 1/8" long but all original chrome ones I have found were 1"
Attachments
2414W Fender Strut Screw(a).jpg
2414W Fender Strut Screw(a).jpg (109.52 KiB) Viewed 11751 times
starcain

Postby Mayday53 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:15 pm

Well, would you look at that...I completely missed them in the back of my parts book...WTH? I was looking in the blow ups and forgot about the Miscellaneous listings on page 62. Good to know about the length though.

As for the nuts, I was thinking of using lock nuts or Acorn nuts with shake-proof lock washers inside the fender to ensure no sharp edges inside...any thoughts on that? I know it is non-standard, the engineer drives me to improve on things which are not readily in plain sight I guess.

Thanks starcain!
"Mayday"

Mayday53

Postby starcain » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:51 pm

Just a side note to the fender strut screws. You mentioned nuts and lock washers. The 2414W screws were meant to be used with a 7233 - 5/16" x 5/8" countersunk shakeproof lock washer that goes under the head of the screw. This was one time I had to break from original. If you use those lock washers it looks like crap. The head of the bolt sticks out unnaturally far. I didn't use them. I just used a 5/16 inch shakeproof lock washer on the inside and was done with it. A much better look. As an FYI,
in all the parts books they have the incorrect number for this washer and the washer they use for the 4362 strut bolt. They have them switched between the 2414W screw and the 4362 screw. They finally got it corrected in the 1963 parts book. 2414W - 7233 washer, 4362 - 7232 washer.
Attachments
2414W & Washer.jpg
2414W & Washer.jpg (145.91 KiB) Viewed 11707 times
2414W No Washer.jpg
2414W No Washer.jpg (128.78 KiB) Viewed 11707 times
2414W Washer.jpg
2414W Washer.jpg (139.85 KiB) Viewed 11707 times
starcain

Return to K, KK, KH, KHK