1952 K Serial Numbers

Production K Models

1952 K Serial Numbers

Postby ericclamage » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:51 pm

I recently purchased back after a 46 year period my first Harley which was a 1952 K model. I was told it was a flat tracker of which there were 17 made. Mine had a magneto and the horseshoe oil tank which leads me to believe it may be true. It also has the shocks with the more "compressed" springs. To further complicate matters the serial number on the cases is 52 k and then there is a backwards K and xxxx. I have never seen a set of cases with a backwards K on it. Was this done to show it was a flat tracker as claimed by the guy I got it from 46 years ago? Yeah, I know, It was like finding a needle in a haystack but after looking back, there was the ugly White Bates seat I sold it with and the original paperwork form 46 years ago to the guy I sold it to. He owned for 22 years and then the guy I got it from had it for 24 years. But it's home with Daddy. The serial number thing is bothering me. Harley was of no help and sent me a couple of barely readable pages from their 1952 records and of course the other big names, don't have time to reply as they are too busy shooting for Disney Channel! Any input on the serial number issue wouold be greatly appreciated.
ericclamage

Re: 1952 K Serial Numbers

Postby thefrenchowl » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:32 pm

Photos please....
Flat Head Forever
https://web.archive.org/web/20071011184353/http://www.harleykrxlrtt.com/index.htm
I'm the one who has to die when it's time for me to die so let me live my life the way I want to...
thefrenchowl

Postby Ferrous_Head » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:40 pm

Are you sure the "Backwards" K isn't a slightly mis-stamped "R" ?
"I know only too well the evil that I propose, but my inclinations get the better of me."
Ferrous_Head

Postby hugoct » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:46 am

Is the mag vertical or horizontal?
Do the exhaust pipes go into the exhaust ports or slip over?
What make and model carburetor does it have?
Take off the cam cover and see if the cam cover and right side case are set up for ball bearings supporting the cams.
Post pictures of the serial number and especially the crankcase numbers.
That should move the narrative along.
hugoct

Return to K, KK, KH, KHK