Is it just me????

Production K Models

Is it just me????

Postby thefrenchowl » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:00 am

Hi...

Has nobody here anything to say about their Ks other than "Is this the right part?" "Is this the right color" "where can I find this flippin gizmo?"

This site is turning way too fast into yet another version of the American Motorcycle Nombrilistic Vintage Society Ball with an unhealthy fixation on the never achievable 100% concourse awards...

Do any of you actually go out on your Ks?

Or do you apply one last invisible decal on it in that says "WARNING!!! Using this Motorcycle will wear it out"

Lonesome Patrick who couldn't care less about his bikes' OEM status and will actually do unmentionnable surgery on them to make them pull like trains
Flat Head Forever
https://web.archive.org/web/20071011184353/http://www.harleykrxlrtt.com/index.htm
I'm the one who has to die when it's time for me to die so let me live my life the way I want to...
thefrenchowl

Re: Is it just me????

Postby Dirty dave » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:10 am

Hi . I have a KHRM 1954 . It came in a box 15 years ago and is coming out slowly. The only thing stopping it is that I have no cams . Now I know people on here have cams but nobody wants to let go of them. I want to use the bike on the street and a don’t mind a set of hot cams like a light race cam maybe a bit more than a KHK but not as desirable. Come on guys help me out . I will put pictures of the build on here and we can make THEFRENCHOWL happy ! Maybe THEFRENCHOWL has some cams ?
Dirty dave

Postby thefrenchowl » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:34 am

Hi Dave,

KHK cams plenty hot enough... They powered me to 121.775mph at Bonneville...

Si, yes, I have a set, but it's shy and won't come out of my 54KHK!!!

Patrick
Flat Head Forever
https://web.archive.org/web/20071011184353/http://www.harleykrxlrtt.com/index.htm
I'm the one who has to die when it's time for me to die so let me live my life the way I want to...
thefrenchowl

Postby Ferrous_Head » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:44 pm

I think a few guys now worry that if you express opinions on here (or any other social media - forums) there's always someone who wants to flame you. I know I sometimes drink before I type and type before I think.
I guess I'm guilty of 100% stuff. My Current Sporton just like my last is 100% original. Just as it left the factory. Well, to be honest the current one hasn't left the factory yet so it has to be correct, right ?

I suspect that everyone and anyoe who changes a part on a Sportster and uses something not originally fitted believes they are "Improving" the bike. Otherwise, why bother. Now sometimes they do and sometimes they don't (from MY perspective.) But in their eyes the bike is better.
And that's what really counts.
No amount of comments from people other than the owner should deter people from making improvements to their bikes. Even if that means using a metal-flake green seat cover. (Don't laugh, they were all the rage at one time).

OK - i better runaway now. Can opened.
"I know only too well the evil that I propose, but my inclinations get the better of me."
Ferrous_Head

Postby Patrician » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:43 pm

I'm happy to make mine a rider as it would be 50 years ago !
Patrician

Postby EKHKHK56 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:53 pm

Any progress people make on getting Barnsters running, patching survivors or building from piles of misc junk like I started with is a good thing. So if you are than its nice to know money spent is towards the 100% goal of Korrectness, which sits on that spot next to heaven. :D But yeah, it all started on a Rat 55KHK Paughco HardTail that amplified every frost heave and patch on our roads. The long worn out forks flopped left or right evenly, with rest following eventually. I road it 2 up till -20, rain or shine every chance...It never left me stranded except once the wiring harness went up in flames. After a fight, and too long at the watering hole it was just as well. Anyway instant and constant love for the KHK was deeply instilled along with the gal who owned it! Years later, They left with a hearty "Get your own dang Harley! Next thing you know I'm sitting where the sun doesn't shine, broke, reading the auto and motorcycle classifieds. "56KHK" for sale...WHAT? and I'm sitting here? Oct. So I call. Hello, I'm Erik, I'm broke, I'm sitting in the can but I want to buy your project. Uh. Ok. Well it's got to go by Dec 15, we are moving to Cali. Ok. Thanks. Dec 5th. MONDAY
Hello, Erik here. Wondering if you still have THE PROJECT. Well, had about a 100 people look at it, but they said too much work. Ohhh. Ok. Uh, well I'm on work release and want to buy it. With 5 cents in my pocket I made an offer. He doubled it and I said sold! Bring it by Friday. DONE. And by Friday I had the cash. So I bought what I eventually called The traveling Circus of worn out, wrong, or Chevy and Indian parts. There were some nice things like extra 52K Engine, Lumpy E .420 cams, 45 cams, K45 cams, KK cams with boots, KR cams, KHK cams, nice Junk I found out. 56KHK cases, cranks, heads, jugs...$10,000 added for parts purchases and 6 years later we're firing up. Had to put the E for Erik cams in. My helper and I discussed it. You have to use the KHK ones...yeahhhh. Than Old Man Shemwell who assembled the stash originally came to me in a dream. "You put those E cams in there sonny, that's why I got them.." :shock: So I put it all together, than found a 56 frame, not 57 like I hhad, so I took it all apart. '99. Now going together... Jump to 2014. Phone rings. BARNSTER K52 finds me after years of searching for her. Heard about it. Like Sasquatch, rumors galore. Complete K in the woods. 45 miles south of town. Bought it on a handshake, with rent money and a promise. AFTER The two ladies left and cancelled 12 showings as they agreed their fathers baby belonged in my house. Before that and lunch, they took me to see her. Chained to a tree 40 years. Rough, but there...Im broke. Its there. Its all rusty. Its mostly there...I have to try..made offer, they raised, I agreed. Ok well we have people all day that want to see it. We will call you. Ok. Well I can pay a little more, but not much I said weakly. No chance of me getting this 52K I figured. But they came back after a lunch. "We cancelled with everyone else, they just talked about how much money they could make etc. Which you never did. " SO. The 52K was about 95% there and original. SURPRISE some of my First K stash had parts that I know came off this only Fairbanks K. Haha. Too cool. And I am ECSTATIC to add original T and wide 52 Seat in place of the Squirrelized Sporty 2 up. And every Helicopter Bolt I replace with a Korrect CP is like YES! Anyway, everyone is right, RIDE THE WHEELS off your K, you won't regret it. Ahhh..can't wait. Gotta get busy...Erik K...ps I'm building KHK cam sets.
EKHKHK56

Postby Dirty dave » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:56 pm

Still no cams
Dirty dave

Postby Ferrous_Head » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:24 am

"I know only too well the evil that I propose, but my inclinations get the better of me."
Ferrous_Head

Postby hayleyl » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:09 pm

Ferrous - just like yours - 100% original Sporton just as it left the factory (shed/workshop)...Cheers Hayley
Attachments
IMG_0914.JPG
IMG_0914.JPG (309.22 KiB) Viewed 13073 times
hayleyl

Postby jOe » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:44 pm

It’s only original once. They all lost the title ‘ original ‘ with the first oil change.
Remember the chrome exchange programs dealers had back in the ‘60s?
Dealers swapped stock parts for chromed ones on new bikes. Bikes rolled off the showroom floor with parts different than they came out of the factory with.
I’d like to see terms like original, restored, rebuilt, period correct, refurbished ,clearly defined.

But on a more cheerful note- 2 weeks from now I’ll be on the salt . Weather and salt conditions predicted good.
jOe

Next

Return to K, KK, KH, KHK