Is it just me????

Production K Models

Re: Is it just me????

Postby Ferrous_Head » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:03 pm

Hayley, that's the way to do it. And that bike will be bog stock original until the day you die. (or you sell it ?)

If I try to think carefully about just why I like these bikes there's never just one reason. The bikes are an infuriating combination of very good (for it's time) design features and really poor execution in some areas.
In today's world of 124 CID monster engines i's easily forgotten just how impressive the low down torque Ironheads produce. For it;s day the XLCH really didn't have an equal. And it LOOKED like a Hot Rod. No mistaking this as anything other than a big boys toy.

And the truth is these bikes lend themselves to be modified. They make an ideal canvas on which people can paint their own ideas.

Me ? I just love the fact that I can build an engine that eats Vincents for breakfast.
"I know only too well the evil that I propose, but my inclinations get the better of me."
Ferrous_Head

Postby Noot » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:36 pm

I run my '52K on the street (ridden a couple times per week). KR heads, KH cams, CV carb. I went with a 22T trans sprocket, and I like it better. My 56KHK flat tracker sees dirt action twice a year, and I rode it on the ice 6 different weekends this year. 16T and 18T trans sprockets, Dellorto PHM38, KHK cams, KHK heads, aluminum rims, Betor front end.
I'm building a '53K that I'm gonna try and ride on a 1500 mile trip. Building the motor for road use with sustained speeds of 58 to 60-62mph mostly. Running a 34T engine sprocket. There you go Patrick ! 8-) :twisted: :D -Noot
Noot

Postby chuckthebeatertruck » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:12 pm

Well, my 59 is actually a sportster motor in a '54 K frame/chassis.

It gets flogged several times a week in urban, suburban, and rural riding. It's my favorite Saturday morning bike and it's not unusual for me to crack off 100-150 miles before 10am.

What's the point of owning one of these if it just collects dust? Are we riders or polishers?
chuckthebeatertruck

Postby chuckthebeatertruck » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:24 pm

Ferrous_Head wrote:In today's world of 124 CID monster engines i's easily forgotten just how impressive the low down torque Ironheads produce.

One of the most limp bikes I've ridden in the last several years was a brand new 110" Big Twin. I'd be surprised if it's actual rear wheel output was more than 65HP. And, we won't even talk about the dreadful throttle response. The only thing it had going for it was a very comfortable seat.
chuckthebeatertruck

Postby Dirty dave » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:33 pm

Ok I see the sporton here . I’m building one myself with a 1966 Sportster motor that I want to hot up so what’s a good formula for a good strong running Iron head motor ? Also what about gear ratios obviously a higher gearing over all but what’s the best way to close up the big gaps in the box ? The bike will be used for fast road and maybe a bit of track work . I own some pretty fast evo Sportsters so am looking to build something that will scare me without blowing up . I know you know what I’m saying. Interested to see what you suggest .
Dirty dave

Postby Ferrous_Head » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:53 pm

Dave, the internal ratios on the 900 are fine. HD knew what they were doing there, believe it or not. The 1000cc engines have the change from 3rd to 4th a bit too far apart. They thought the extra torque would make it all good.
You really just make your gearing changes on the C/S sprocket. And it depends on what track, er, road, your spending time on.
Depending on how much you "Hot Rod" the engine will determine the overall gearing you can pull. I have sprockets between 16 and 24 teeth.
I can gear my Sporton for 145MPH.But that's impractical for anywhere but a race track. If you do "pump up" the engine a bit around town the smaller C/S sprockets can make 1st too low. Start with about a 22T and see if you like that.
Road racers often opt for "close ratio" gearboxes. That's OK when you only have to get off the line one time and then use 3rd and 4th for ever more. But they can be a real PITA around town.
"I know only too well the evil that I propose, but my inclinations get the better of me."
Ferrous_Head

Postby Ferrous_Head » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:59 pm

chuckthebeatertruck wrote:
Ferrous_Head wrote:In today's world of 124 CID monster engines i's easily forgotten just how impressive the low down torque Ironheads produce.

One of the most limp bikes I've ridden in the last several years was a brand new 110" Big Twin. I'd be surprised if it's actual rear wheel output was more than 65HP. And, we won't even talk about the dreadful throttle response. The only thing it had going for it was a very comfortable seat.

Yes,, but what about the neat "Integrated GPS and sound system" ?

I'd like one of those on my 74 but I never even look at the tach and I'm now deaf as a post. So, it would be wasted on me.

Oh and I have discovered I can no longer pick up a big twin if it falls over on me. I can't ride a bike I can't even pick up when I drop it. And "NEWS FLASH" - i ain't alone in not being able to get these back on their wheels.
Ferrous_Head

Postby chuckthebeatertruck » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:16 pm

GPS -- yeah, I've got that -- it's called road signs and a sense of where I am. If I head north, Canada. If I head South, Mexico. If I head West, the Pacific. If I head east, the Atlantic. Good to go.

Sound system -- are you kidding me? Why ride a motorcycle if you can't live without music for a few hours. I usually turn the radio off in the car as well.

I'd MUCH rather listen to any of my bikes winding through the gears and the sound of the wind rushing past me than stare at any screen and listen to any music.

And, I prefer the blat of a flathead to the zing of an OHV.

Riding is a sensory experience. Why shut yourself off from it? I want to feel the sun, smell the air (and oil), hear the tires hums, and smile everytime I go through an underpass and crush the throttle.

Doing all of the above on a bike ready to collect its pension cheque is just a bonus few understand.
chuckthebeatertruck

Postby chuckthebeatertruck » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:22 pm

Dirty dave wrote:Still no cams

Me thinks you need to be more creative.

Instead of looking for a specific set -- why not get ANY set of compatible cams and then buy a set of Enfield Racing's press on lobes? Jim Leineweber has them as well -- and if you ask nice, Jim may also have a set of "junk" cams he'd sell you if you buy the lobes.

I just went through a mess getting my 90" flattie cams reground . . . and really wish I had just bought the press on lobes. I would have been in the wind already on that bike instead of taking 8 months to get the cams sorted.

Finally, I know of two to three folks on this site who do have cams. No, they won't sell them to you -- until you become their friend and ask nicely over a long enough period of time. These sorts of parts are all over the place, but guys don't offer them up "just because" someone else needs them. Too many guys do up a bike and then dump it after a few hundred miles. No one wants to think they are helping out only to find out the "help" was for the other guy to turn a profit.
chuckthebeatertruck

Postby Dirty dave » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:33 pm

I understand ! The bike is a keeper I have had it 15 years so it’s not going anyplace but she’s no good in a box and I think she’s done her time behind bars and we both need to see some road together. I’d rather a set of hot cams as she is far from stock and if she’s gonna look fast we should at least try to get up and go
Dirty dave

PreviousNext

Return to K, KK, KH, KHK