Frame question: K versus KHK

Production K Models

Frame question: K versus KHK

Postby Mayday53 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:36 am

What are the differences, if any, between K model and a KHK model frame? Is the only difference the neck angle?
"Mayday"

"Respect is given, disrespect is earned"
Mayday53

Re: Frame question: K versus KHK

Postby wz507 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:23 am

Much info here in the technical section of this forum.

http://www.harleykmodel.com/technical/frames/oskrg-bulletin-1-v1.1.pdf
wz507

Postby JerrryR » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:51 pm

Hi Mayday,
Depending on where you are going with your question we may need more information. I've with much help from others have observed 8 physically different K frames and 9 different KH/KHK frames excluding counting the presence or absence of a date code as a difference. Some of these physical difference are almost insignificant but differences just the same. If your question was simply what was the difference between the last version of the K frame in June of 53 against the first version of the KH frame in June of 53 you would be correct in that it was simply the neck rake angle. On the other hand if you are asking the differences in an earlier K frame and say a late 55 or any of the 56K frames there would be a number of differences. One important difference to remember is the coil bosses on the left downtube changed from 5/16 coarse to 3/8 fine for the 55 model year. Having said this a K, KH or KHK motor will fit into any of the frames. Can you post pictures of the frames you want to compare?
JerryR

K Differences.JPG
K Differences.JPG (167.64 KiB) Viewed 13204 times
JerrryR

Postby Mayday53 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:26 pm

The genesis of my question is this, I have a 1953K model frame/forks/wheels. I am assuming is on a late 53 frame, based on my conversations with the original (bought in 1955) owner. I am using it to build a KHK since the motor he had put in it in 1955 was a KHK and it lived its life as such. I am now trying to get it as close as possible without having to get a whole new frame. I do have some custom finishes on it, such as the fork lowers handlebars, and rear fender struts are black; I love the look and I figured it would be easy to clean them off and re-chrome later if needed. However, the rest of the bike is about 98% original. You can actually see pictures of my bike on some of my previous post. In fact, I recently won a vintage bike sh you can actually see pictures of my bike on some of my previous posts. In fact, I recently won a vintage bike show with her in the Fargo ND area.
"Mayday"

Mayday53

Postby EKHKHK56 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:21 pm

Aside from small changes and date codes it is still an early K frame, and visable as such and close 53-55. Some 55KHK had 54 frame, some 55 with stronger neck and dual wall front downtubes. Then the 56 came with 56-69 style drop neck, etc. Sportsterish...
EKHKHK56

Postby hennesse » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:19 am

Mayday,

It would be disqualified from AMCA judging - wrong engine/frame combination. Knowledgeable K-folk would fairly easily pick up on the wrong frame, wrong triple trees. Wrong fork tubes - deduced from the above. If you have 19" wheels, they would be OK for a 1953 or 1954, but wrong for a 1955.

If the bike is a 1953 except for the engine, there will be a number of differences, some plainly visible (headlight bucket - position of indicator lights), some not so visible (different shocks).

Joe and Jane Public would never know - they've never seen a K-model before.

If you were to ride your 1953-frame, then a 1955, you would probably notice that the 1953 was easier to turn the handlebars, easier for a variation in the road surface (rocks, grooves, bumps) to turn the wheel. The 1955 would be more stable at speed - easier to do a "Look Ma, No Hands".
hennesse
Site Admin

Postby Mayday53 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:36 am

So Dave, just curious, what do you think, based on experience, a very well restored bike like mine would be worth? I am also wondering if there be any value in changing out the KHK parts or swapping in a K model engine...I already have over $13k into it, not including my time.
"Mayday"

Mayday53

Postby hennesse » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:41 pm

K-models are rare, but they are not super-collectible. Most sell between 10K and 15K, some really sweet examples go for more. At some of the big auctions, you sometimes you see them go for silly money. On the other hand, you sometimes see them go unsold.

Some people want riders, some people want 100-pointers, some people want flashy restorations with really shiny paint. Price depends on who's looking at the moment and what's being offered for sale right then.

If you've got $13K in the bike, I'd leave it as is. If you try and find a 1953 K motor to make it a stock 1953, you might end up in one of those never-ending money-sink projects, and you'll have put more in the 1953 motor than you can sell the 1955 KHK motor for. Ugh!

So ride it and enjoy it for what it is. The 888cc KH has 20% more cubic inches than the 750cc K - plus the KHK goodies - you'll leave the stock K guys in the dust. When you go to sell it, you'll get out of it what you put into it. So be happy - many people never get that.
hennesse
Site Admin

Postby Mayday53 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:00 am

Thanks Dave. My plan is to enjoy it for a while, maybe for longer. I always appreciate your informed and honest answers.
"Mayday"

Mayday53

Postby Simon » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:39 pm

If you have that much in it, I would get a correct frame and parts. No doubt about it. Ride as is and spend the time finding the parts - trade would be easy if you have the rarer K parts. Make the bike wholly year-correct if you have that much in and should one day wish to recoup.

No doubt it's a great machines as is, so enjoy it whilst enjoying the hunt for the correct parts!

And then use the earlier parts for the next project?
Simon

Next

Return to K, KK, KH, KHK