special fork spanner tool

Production K Models

special fork spanner tool

Postby K Daddy » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:00 am

1952 K model shocks
Does everyone own the special spanner tool that is used to turn the internal threaded slug in the forks? Where can I get one?
I am trying to get my forks apart. When I remove the cap from the top of the forks, the next item to come out is this threaded cylinder with two holes in it.
I believe its purpose is to preload the springs in the shocks.
I need that tool and a search so far hasn't worked. I may be calling it the wrong name.
I have taken out the drain plug from the end of the shock and also removed the cap screw that is in the very bottom of the lower shock and I think it should come apart now, once the threaded cylinder is removed.
I hope I am right on this. I believe the rubber seal at the top of the lower leg does not prevent the shock from coming apart.
I'm using the instructions from a '59 Sportster
K Daddy

Re: special fork spanner tool

Postby tator » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:59 pm

I Have a couple motorcycles with that type of fork and I have always stuck the tips of my needle nose plyers in the two holes and stuck a screwdriver between the tips of the plyers and unscrewed them, they usually come out pretty easy. Another thing on them forks I don't remember exactly but I think they take 4 or 4 1/2 oz. of oil which when you pour the oil in it has to go through the little tiny holes and the Harley manual they show you an elaborate funnel for putting oil in them so you can measure it correctly. I have a pair of slugs that screws into the top that they used to use for extending forks and I just screw them in, pour in my 4 oz. of oil and leave it sit for a few minutes and your done. I have always thought if a guy got a piece of PVC pipe and screwed it in the threads that would work too.
tator

Postby mikeslemmon » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:19 pm

I just bought a too lfor this from sporty parts that is first rate,
mikeslemmon

Postby Ferrous_Head » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:31 pm

Colony part number 77000-3 which includes two new retainers from memory.
Referred to as a "fork tube retainer pin wrench".
"I know only too well the evil that I propose, but my inclinations get the better of me."
Ferrous_Head

Postby JerrryR » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:58 pm

Sometimes the bolt used for the fork panel screw on the top tree dimples in the threaded portion of the fork tube making it difficult to remove the fork piston rod retainer. I've used a Dremel tool to internally grind down the dimple and then chase the threads after removing the rod retainer. If you find you need to chaise the threads at some point send me an address and I'll loan you the tap.
JerrryR

Return to K, KK, KH, KHK