Ebay exhaust

Production K Models

Ebay exhaust

Postby K Daddy » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:10 pm

Here is an E-Bay exhaust that should work for my '52 K model.
The eBay item number 162834999688
I would love to buy it but I am concerned that it is junk and won't fit my bike.
Is there decent success rates for buying reproduction exhaust on-line?
K Daddy

Re: Ebay exhaust

Postby thefrenchowl » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:28 am

Hi K Daddy,

This one:

Problem is this is a generic V-Twin Tedd Cycle catalogue photo from the best exhaust he could produce...

IE this is not a photo of the exhaust you're gonna receive...

Go back to the seller and see if he can produce photos of the one he's selling.

If he won't, stay away...

Patrick
Flat Head Forever
https://web.archive.org/web/20071011184353/http://www.harleykrxlrtt.com/index.htm
I'm the one who has to die when it's time for me to die so let me live my life the way I want to...
thefrenchowl

Postby Lisa » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:29 am

Ted sells some junk and some is very good I am a dealer and know - stay away from the original wing type pet cocks for shore. exhaust ??? First person to buy one will tell you might be junk might fit perfect ? I bought a few from different vendors over the years and none of them fit right. Don't know of any perfect repo's yet ?? OH pictures looked great on the ones I bought and they were junk.
Lisa

Postby hennesse » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:32 am

The K and KH take slightly different exhaust systems, due to the increased stroke of the KH.

There used to be a guy in Kentucky or Tennesse who made perfect reproductions. I called Sporty Specialties to buy one, only to find out they had sold the last one about a month before I called. And the KY/TN guy wasn't going to make any more. Bummer. You might check with Sporty Specialties and see if the situation has changed, but probably not.

I purchased a KH set from Dennis Corso. The front pipe was OK, but the rear pipe was poorly bent and was un-usable. I had a difficult time convincing Dennis that it was defective. I have an original set (banged and beaten), so I mocked up the engine and frame, attached the original exhaust and took a photo, then did the same with the Corso exhaust. The problem was then obvious. I sent back the defective set along with my original set. He made up a new set, and about two weeks later, I got a nicely fitting set back. So he did ultimately stand behind his work - it just took some trouble to convince him there was a problem.

The original rear pipe has a "saddle" where there rear cylinder pipe connects to the main pipe. Both the Corso set and the V-twin set do not have that - the pipes are butt welded. Who cares?

Corso sold his exhaust business to www.thegasbox.com You should give them a call and see when/if they will be making K and KH sets.

V-Twin does sell a K exhaust 30-1083 and a KH exhaust 30-1082. However, V-Twin's quality varies - some parts are pretty good, others are junk. Quality for a particular part varies too. If you decide to get one, I'd make sure you have full return privileges from the seller. And I'd have the bike ready (at least temporarily) for test-fitting the exhaust. If there's a problem, you want to return it right away, not a year down the road.

Has anyone used the V-Twin exhaust system? Does it fit?

No easy solution for these exhaust systems. A couple of years ago, I started looking around the country for shops that can do mandrel bending of exhaust pipes. All but one said that they could not do 1-1/2 inch pipes, as there are no car applications for 1-1/2. The lone one who could said they could do 1-1/2 could not do the saddle. I didn't pursue this any further.
hennesse
Site Admin

Postby hd54kh » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:51 am

Wasn't there a guy in Mooresville N.C. making these up a few years ago? He worked in a NASCAR shop and did them as a side biz if I remember. If I get a chance this afternoon I'll look in some older AMCA magazines I have where he had an ad.

Terry
hd54kh

Postby thefrenchowl » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:20 pm

This exhaust was a KH replica on my 55KHK, probably bought by PO in about 2006, it was fitting pretty good...

So some are pretty decent!!!

Patrick
Flat Head Forever
https://web.archive.org/web/20071011184353/http://www.harleykrxlrtt.com/index.htm
I'm the one who has to die when it's time for me to die so let me live my life the way I want to...
thefrenchowl

Postby hd54kh » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:36 pm

Here is a picture of an add from the 2011 Spring AMCA Mag. Anyone familiar with him?

Terry
Attachments
DSC_0516 resize1.jpg
DSC_0516 resize1.jpg (498.6 KiB) Viewed 15024 times
hd54kh

Postby hennesse » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:17 pm

That is probably the guy I was talking about. NC is close to KY and TN, and the price Sporty Parts was charging was about $650.

I'll give him a call tomorrow and post the results of what I find out.
Dave
hennesse
Site Admin

KH Exhaust Systems

Postby hennesse » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:25 pm

hennesse wrote:I'll give him a call tomorrow and post the results of what I find out.

I spoke to Bob this morning, and he definitely is the guy who made the KH pipe sets. The bad news is that he is not going to make any more. The good news is that he has about 2 dozen sets of pipes that are bent and ready for welding, and a fixture to hold them while welding. However, the "saddles" where the rear cylinder pipe meets the tailpipe will need to be fabricated. Making the saddles will take someone with fab shop equipment and experience.

Hopefully someone out there has the necessary facilities, and can resurrect this source of KH exhaust systems. The price for the pipes and fixture is $1500. Must pick up in Charlotte, NC. If you're up for this project, give Bob Aton a call at 417-838-4777
hennesse
Site Admin

Postby wz507 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:46 pm

It’s been a year since the last post in this topic and wondering if anybody has any more recent news on pipes to fit a KH. Just got off the phone with The Gas Box (https://www.thegasbox.com/) and was informed that they intend to make some K and KH pipes in 2020, and indicated such an undertaking would likely occur later in the year. He has not made any K/KH stock pipes since purchasing the business from Corso.

When I purchased my pile a decade ago it came with “new” exhaust pipes and I never did anything with them aside from putting them on the shelf. Recently I dug them out to trial fit them on a bench engine and was disappointed in the fit. The pipes were rattling loose on the exhaust spigots and I know from past experience that nothing good can ever come from a situation like that. Also appears the front pipe requires shortening to properly meet at the rear pipe saddle and keep the necessary geometry of both pipes.

Anybody have any new insight regarding a source for well fitted new pipes to fit a KH? Thank you.
wz507

Return to K, KK, KH, KHK