KR KK or KHK Cams Wanted

Racing K Models

KR KK or KHK Cams Wanted

Postby Noot » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:03 pm

I have my KHK motor coming along. A special bob weight was made, and the flywheels have been dynamically balanced.
I beveled my pistons (like Jerry Branch) - I'll time and cut the breather, I have a solid 30T engine sprocket and an 18T trans sprocket ready to go . . . I have #2,3 and 4 cams with .375 and .385 lift. I need a #1 cam like these, or I need a whole set of cams. If someone could sell me a set of cams, or what I need, I'd sure appreciate it. I know Jim could make me some lobes, and I know Enfield, but I'd prefer some factory cams, or something I don't have to press out my shafts, cut, press, degree and weld if you get my drift? Thank You ! :)
Noot

Re: KR KK or KHK Cams Wanted

Postby Jim Garrett » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:22 pm

Don't know if this is a help or not with the cams you are looking for. Probably not, but I will mention it anyway. I have a mostly complete trap door K engine that has been bored +.020 and has KHK cams. It hasn't been run in a long time. History is unknown. Doesn't appear to have any case damage or repairs. I would like $2500 for the engine. Jim
Jim Garrett

Postby Hammie13 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:36 pm

I have a full set of KR cams,but they are set up for roller bearings,and I paid top dollar for them so I'd have to get my money back. I also have a full set of KH cams but I can't break up a full set to sell just one. I'll go thru my stash and see if I have any solo #3 or #1 cams,as they are the same profile,just have the timing marks set in relation to the order they are installed. I'm sure someone on the forum can tell you how to set it to the correct degree. If your interested in buying either full set,contact me at [email protected]. Good Luck, Hammie
Hammie13

Postby sean » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:27 pm

i have a extra 1k cam but im thinking yours are marked khk...
sean

Postby Noot » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:16 pm

Thanks fellas ! I did buy a #1 KHK at Davenport. Now I have a set. I'll use a donor right case half, use my gear cover, and a pinion shaft with a nut. I'll slip in a set of pinion bearings - and use a higher speed impact to drive the nut on the pinion shaft, install my cams with a watery lapping compound mix on the gears - and spin it to lap in the gear teeth. I'll install the cams just like they'll be (timed) - rinse the gears and repeat. Wash 'em good in the end. She'll run smooth - and less friction - That's the way we do it ! -Noot
Noot

Postby hvydg » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:50 pm

Hi new to the forum. Not trying to hi jack but have a quick cam question. I'm picking up a 54 khk tomorrow from a buddy. The right side belly number is a 55. I was going to pull the cover and see if it has the correct cams. Should they be stamped khk? Or kk? Thanks in advance.
hvydg

Postby Simon » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:09 am

I know this is an older thread, but just to provide an answer: they should be stamped either "1, 2, 3, 4" or "1KHK, 2KHK, 3KHK, 4KHK". There were no cams stamped with KK; these would have used the "1, 2, 3, 4" type.
Simon

Postby starcain » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:20 am

Just to expand a little more on what Simon was saying and for those who may not be familiar with K model cams I thought I would post a few pictures. It is known that the 1953 KK used high lift cams that are simply marked 1,2,3,4. It is also thought by some that the 1954 and 1955 KHKs also used the 1,2,3,4 cams. Before the arrival of the 1956 KHK the "53KK and the "54,"55 KHKs had a factory installed "K" competition cam kit.This cam kit set them apart from their lower performance counterparts the K and KH. In 1956 the KHK became a separate model and was advertised as such. It is thought by some that this is when the first KHK stamped cams appeared. If true that would make the KHK stamped cams a one year only feature. It makes sense to me simply because through the years I have seen a fair amount of the 1,2,3,4 cams and very few of the KHK cams. If any of you guys out there have a "54 or "55 KHK that you think has the original cams in it I would love to hear if they are stamped with just the numbers or KHK? The cams in the cam cover picture are a full set of "53KK,"54,"55KHK cams. The inserted picture of the No.1 KHK cam is just to show what one would look like with the KHK stamping. The other two pictures show the difference in lobe grind and gear width from the other K models. If anyone has better or more insight into this subject please comment. Stan
Attachments
KK-KHK Cams.jpg
KK-KHK Cams.jpg (165.99 KiB) Viewed 19246 times
K cam lobe comparison.jpg
K cam lobe comparison.jpg (141.8 KiB) Viewed 19246 times
Cam Gear Width.jpg
Cam Gear Width.jpg (184.38 KiB) Viewed 19246 times
starcain

Postby Mutt » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:08 am

So what is the lift and duration of the KHK stamped cam>
Mutt

Postby starcain » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:27 am

Mutt wrote:So what is the lift and duration of the KHK stamped cam>

The numbered cams and the ones stamped KHK are exactly the same except for the KHK designation. Lift is about .375", duration I can't say. Patrick would probably be able to shed some light on that.
starcain

Next

Return to KR, KRM, KRTT, KHR, KHRM, KHRTT