New guy with a '59 KR

Racing K Models

New guy with a '59 KR

Postby sixfootdan » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:49 am

A little back story. My Dad was in Viet Nam and got out in '67-'68 and bought a brand new Sportster. He got married and I was born in '72. My Dad sold the Sportster to pay the hospital bill and with the remainder of the cash bought a basket case '59 KR. I was reminded by my Dad over the years about selling the bike because of me but he never put it together until 5-6 years ago but never got it running. I finally talked him out of my birthright and drug it home last weekend. He said it only wanted to fire on one cylinder. Now I'm a Volkswagen and a British bike nut so this Harley is Greek to me. The valve adjustment tubes are slid or threaded up on the fwd cylinder and the bike turns over with compression. There is plenty of incorrect things done to the bike which I will fix and I will post the progress of the bike here and ask stupid questions as I go. Thanks for reading.

sixfootdan

Re: New guy with a '59 KR

Postby EKHKHK56 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:06 am

Hi Dan. Nice KR you have. It will be a lot fun when you get her sorted out. Ask a lot of questions :) Erik K
EKHKHK56

Postby sixfootdan » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:39 pm

EKHKHK56 wrote:Hi Dan. Nice KR you have. It will be a lot fun when you get her sorted out. Ask a lot of questions :) Erik K

Thanks Erik, I guess I'll start with making sure the valves are adjusted properly and then try to figure out where the huffing is coming from. If it's not the valve adjustment then I'll check cam timing or head gaskets.
sixfootdan

Postby sixfootdan » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:00 am

I ordered a replica hardtail from sporty specialties that has a rear brake tab and I will let everyone know how it fits. I'm also looking for a gas tank. The one I have has a very high tunnel and the forward mounts don't line up right. Judging by the pics I have been looking at, I need a much lower tunnel.

sixfootdan

Postby Simon » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:05 am

I would love to see some close up pics of the engine, and the rest of the bike...

Curious about the generator mounted to the front-mag cases, also the frame in behind the RHS foot peg, and the underside of the tank!

Looks to be the rare road racing front wheel, which with the rear shocks would likely make it a KRTT. Nice!
Does the rear brake drum have fins?
Simon

Postby thefrenchowl » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:42 am

Simon,

With a gene, the right case can't be a KR one, so more likely a right K case mated to a left KR case...

Or worse, a full K set of cases with KR top end...

Timing cover looks like K as well, can't be KR.

Dan, the gas tank is aftermarket... You need to source a 58 > 76 CH Sportster one...

Patrick
Flat Head Forever
https://web.archive.org/web/20071011184353/http://www.harleykrxlrtt.com/index.htm
I'm the one who has to die when it's time for me to die so let me live my life the way I want to...
thefrenchowl

Postby sixfootdan » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:10 am

I'll have to ask my father some questions about the generator that was added. There was a 2nd parts bike and the frame was sold in the early 80's. It had the drum brakes you see in the pics. And the swing arm was used as well. I have the brakeless rims still. The motor from the 2nd bike has bushings for the cams where as the one in the bike now has bearings. I will report back after talking to my Dad, I'm excited to learn more about this bike.
sixfootdan

Postby 55panman » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:55 am

The right case can be changed fairly easy to accept a generator. Little bit of TIG weld on the case and the timing cover on the timing gear peg boss. Matter fact I have a plate fixture I made to relocate the holes either way. Mag or generator. Of course the hassle to that is you have to pull down the motor.
55panman

Postby sixfootdan » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:05 pm

55panman wrote:The right case can be changed fairly easy to accept a generator. Little bit of TIG weld on the case and the timing cover on the timing gear peg boss. Matter fact I have a plate fixture I made to relocate the holes either way. Mag or generator. Of course the hassle to that is you have to pull down the motor.

I called my Dad today and that's exactly what he did to convert the fwd mount magneto to a generator. I have a new problem now, He forgot the title when I got the bike so he mailed it to me. The title has an extra character at the end that is not on the bike. It says 59KRxxxxZ the bike has no "Z" now I'm wondering if I have a 300 lb boat anchor.
sixfootdan

Postby Simon » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:25 am

I'm sure you'll be able to rectify that, although it's also sure to be a PIA...just don't go stamping the Z onto the VIN pad! :D

Would love to hear some of your dad's stories about when he first had the bike! More pics please!
Simon

Next

Return to KR, KRM, KRTT, KHR, KHRM, KHRTT