fork spring lengths

Racing K Models

Re: fork spring lengths

Postby EKHKHK56 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:53 am

Brad, Mr Davidson, & Joe. Winners all 3. Joe won half the inaugural AMA Grand National Races. On that bike usually, or his KHR when tromping the 80" class after winning the 45" Expert. Did that a few times. First time Joe stayed up all night grinding a Big Twin tire rounding the foot print and fitting. He greased the corners, sliding the mighty KHR on asphalt or hardpack corners. Joe raced for Tom Sifton. Marsh his fine tuner. Brad raced for his Dad, Len. Both were in a heated HP and torque war. California 1954. Tom would answer the phone, I got another one! Haha, Len said. It meant a $1,000 from H-D bonus also for each 1. In 55 Len asked Tom if he could buy a KR. That one! Joe's 54 Championship machine. Ok, why not. I'm quitting racing to make and sell cams anyway. 1955. Brad, the youngest of a batch of Great Andres Racers was coming fast. His Amateur times beat many experts by 54. 1955. Joe's chasing his old bike, far too much. Brad had a bit of a weight advantage, and no fear, all talent. Brad takes 1955 on the old #98 #11 now. And #1 for 55. Joe's comment earlier, Tom, did you have to sell him our best one?! Joe and his Tuner my Buddy Marsh Runyon nailed #1 again for 1956 & 1957. Than that guy from Texas....Carroll. I just can't catch him, said Joe. I used to go to Christmas dinner at my best competitors home. Also helped him with his car, eventually taking 94 1st by last race win, displacing him by 1 point. 95 Scherri and I ran off with the Alaska B-Stock Champ. And 96 by 7 points last race. Ha. Then I beat him in a grudge match with his car. My friend got 3 2nds. We retired, he went on to win next 3 years. Great people. Racers.
Last edited by EKHKHK56 on Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EKHKHK56

Postby EKHKHK56 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:20 am

Here's Joe, signed for me way back. And. Here's Brad, I asked him about the front fender. He said it worked as a fork brace, besides keeping from getting sand blasted on Daytona Beach 200. Note lower handle bar...Broomstick. Here, in 56, he achieved a 126mph qualifying speed. On a Flathead 45" girls bike. :roll: :lol: Erik
Attachments
20181027_210411_resized(1).jpg
20181027_210411_resized(1).jpg (231.11 KiB) Viewed 6645 times
20181027_210234_resized.jpg
20181027_210234_resized.jpg (258.29 KiB) Viewed 6645 times
EKHKHK56

Postby No side stand » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:26 am

Great post Erik. A couple of years ago, I got to hold a NOS aluminium front fender, and at the time I wondered “why would the factory bother making this. Nobody runs a front fender.” Now I have to shift some memory around, or delete something to fit this in.
Later on, I think I looked for the fender in the R part manuals but I don’t think it was listed. I’ve never heard of another.
I have other pictures of riders in action without fender mounts, but I’m guessing it might have been a fad to remove them.
No side stand

Postby EKHKHK56 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:25 am

I'm always glad to share or help if I can. Most racers did easy trim or shaving just to cut weight, or remove things that could stab you. Brad Andres may have just run the front fender a couple big or high speed races. Stabbed by bike... Reminds me of the time I was on a new ice track with my 79 XR544 Al Baker motor. Straights were twice as long, corners half the size...timing in I soon realized I was flying into one about 25 mph too fast. I tried to ride it out, but was forced up into the snow bank, we did a quick endo, with the bike landing on my left calf. It peeled out, ran up my leg and off my rear. 2 weeks prior I had my big screw removed from left shoulder. It had backed out tearing my socket lining up. For a few years. Was feeling pretty good! Now I layed on the track wondering why the ice was wet at -30...or my leg. The drywall screws from inside out did a number. The nurse thought it was a chainsaw accident. Fun stuff.
EKHKHK56

Previous

Return to KR, KRM, KRTT, KHR, KHRM, KHRTT