XLCH Chain Oiler Line Bracket Placement

All things K & Sportster

XLCH Chain Oiler Line Bracket Placement

Postby DaveC » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:26 pm

I have received several requests for information regarding the placement of the XLCH chain oiler hose brackets. There is a upper and lower bracket fitted from 1958 to at least 1969. The folks at Colony are reproducing them. I have discovered that there is one placement for the 58 to 65 chain oil line routing and another for 66 to 69 (smaller upper bracket). Thanks Dennis G and Jeff L. I attached the brackets to a rear motor mount to show fitment. I used the later (61 or so and up) lower bracket. Photos of both are included.
Attachments
Chain Oil Line Bracket 3-1.jpg
Chain Oil Line Bracket 3-1.jpg (168.7 KiB) Viewed 12196 times
Chain Oil Line Brackets 1-2.jpg
Chain Oil Line Brackets 1-2.jpg (123.35 KiB) Viewed 12196 times
DaveC

Re: XLCH Chain Oiler Line Bracket Placement

Postby Ferrous_Head » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:22 am

Are you 100% sure that;s where the brackets mount ?

I have mine mounted differently. Mine leaves the enf of the hose directly over the chain.
"I know only too well the evil that I propose, but my inclinations get the better of me."
Ferrous_Head

Postby DaveC » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:05 pm

The hose actually deposits oil on the inside and bottom of the chain as it moves backwards toward the rear sprocket. The lower bracket positions the oiler hose directly behind the motor sprocket and above the inside of the chain to deposit oil. That's why you see oil and lubricant accumulating in the chain guard.
DaveC

Postby murph » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:18 pm

Here's a picture of my original 1959 xlch for what it's worth. I can't say the brackets were ever on or off in it's life but there they are.

murph

Postby Ferrous_Head » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:06 pm

Murph, are your brackets placed like photo 1 or 2 of Faves ?
"I know only too well the evil that I propose, but my inclinations get the better of me."
Ferrous_Head

Postby DaveC » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:31 pm

Murph,

Thanks for the photo as it partially answers the question as to when the lower bracket went from straight to angled up to provide more chain clearance. We guessed 1961 based on the number of straight vs. angled up we have in our collections of stuff.

Dave
DaveC

Postby Ferrous_Head » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:13 pm

Interesting. When I look at your photo (Murph) inside the forum I see less than half of the picture. I saved it to my PC and when I view it on there, Viola ! I can see the whole thing.
My placement has been wrong. Live and learn. (Although for me, rather slowly)
Ferrous_Head

Postby murph » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:02 pm

Yea for some reason the forum picture crops it....Save it like you said and it's clear.
murph

Postby wz507 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:52 pm

Ferrous_Head wrote:Interesting. When I look at your photo (Murph) inside the forum I see less than half of the picture. I saved it to my PC and when I view it on there, Viola ! I can see the whole thing.

I have the same issue with only seeing a partial image with certain larger images posted to the forum. I am using Chrome browser and have found that for some images just double clicking on them opens them up fully. If that doesn’t work I right click on the image, a dialogue box pops open and the 1st choice in the box is “Open image in a new tab”. If I select that option a new tab appears at the top of the screen next to the existing tab and if I click the new tab the entire image is visible. If it works it might save you a click or 2 getting the complete image to appear . Please let us know if any of the above works.
wz507

Postby Ferrous_Head » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:35 am

I'm using Firefox. Right clicking and selecting "view image" worked.
Ferrous_Head

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions