53 k model on e-bay

All things K & Sportster

Re: 53 k model on e-bay

Postby hugoct » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:02 am

Why would you call this bike a flattracker?
hugoct

Postby wz507 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:40 am

hennesse wrote:
starcain wrote: The frame is likely an early K frame. [...] Here's an interesting thing I never noticed before. http://www.harleykmodel.com/gallery/195 ... index.html Click on "In The Alley", then click "Supersize", then drag down to the front wheel. You'll see the 1952-1953 cut in the backing plate. Now look closely at the brake operating lever - it's in two places at once! I must have squeezed the brake when I moved the bike, and it stuck. Just as I snapped the photo, it unstuck itself - giving us this "double exposure effect". At least that's my explanation of this phenomenon.

How about this explanation - perhaps a reflection of the brake arm onto the mirrored backing plate since there is no evidence for the "blur of motion" present (at least to these tired old eyes).
wz507

Postby thefrenchowl » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:03 pm

It's refreshing to see so called experts not seeing the tree from the forest...

Most of you should stick to nut counting and leave the rest to others!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Early K frame with a goose neck....... I've heard it all now on this forum!!!!!!!!!!!

Patrick
Flat Head Forever
https://web.archive.org/web/20071011184353/http://www.harleykrxlrtt.com/index.htm
I'm the one who has to die when it's time for me to die so let me live my life the way I want to...
thefrenchowl

Postby JerrryR » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:37 am

Hi All,
I too find the "53K" an interesting bike. To me the motor is clearly a sportster motor and most likely a high VIN 57XL based on the belly numbers. The frame is a late 56K or sportster frame based on the swirly ridge on the neck casting. The 56K frame had 3 versions and two different neck castings the latest of which had the "ridge" that was carried on into the sportster frames. Something occurred to me while I was counting the nuts on this frame. That is the debt of gratitude I owe to all the great old bike enthusiast that have unselfishly shared their knowledge with me. There was a time when I couldn't tell a K frame from a sportster frame or a 52-53 K case from a 54K case or from a 55-56K case but these great folks I've met without ever belittling me or trying to shame me shared what they knew about different bike related issues so that I too could fully enjoy playing with these old bikes. At age 66 I'm still not much of a mechanic, I wouldn't be comfortable doing a bottom end on a bike or know what to do to make a really go fast bike. Having said that I've enjoyed riding them since I was a teenager and even going sort of fast at times. I want to give a big thanks to Dave for doing all the work to run and maintain this site where we can all ask for help and share what we have learned over the years. What I want to say to folks that are new to this site or new to these old bikes, welcome. Here there is no pretest to see if you are "worthy" to ask questions or share your thoughts. Everyone is welcome.
JerryR

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation" Thoreau
JerrryR

Postby Noot » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:15 am

Jerry is a wise man...and a really super cool dude. When I have a question I absolutely can't figure out about a K Model or Sportster, he's one of 3 guys I know that will know the answer. :D
Noot

Postby starcain » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:25 am

Well said Jerry, especially the belittling and shaming part. We all have different levels of knowledge and with the help of others we get to learn more. Some of us are purists and enjoy the original side of motorcycles. Others are OK with mild alterations from original while others like custom. Nothing wrong with any form you choose as long as you enjoy it.

I have to correct something I said in my earlier post. I said the coil studs were the early 5/16" on the 53 Ebay bike. That is incorrect. After getting one of each out of the drawer and comparing, the 53 Ebay bike does have the later '55 studs.

Jerry, you know more about frames then anyone I know and I sincerely appreciate your knowledge. It looks like they used the same frame for late 56 and '57 so that makes sense for this bike. I am still curious about the crash bar. Will a early 52 to 55 crash bar mount up to a '56 frame since the crash bars are different with the top mounting bracket turned the other direction?

Thanks for your thoughts Jerry. I'm going to go out now and count some nuts and bolts. I think I may have missed a few!!!!!!
starcain

52 and 53 Ks on Craigslist

Postby hennesse » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:45 pm

Take a look at our Craigslist search, and you'll find a 1952 and 1953 currently for sale.

Seems like the 52/53s are coming out of the woodwork recently.
hennesse
Site Admin

Postby Ferrous_Head » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:30 pm

I don't believe the seller is actually trying to scam anyone. I just don't think he really knows what it is that he has.

If you ignore the engine number I believe the bike could mare aptly be described as a 57 Sportster. I suspect a 57 Sportster would oull better money than a seriously hacked about 53K.
I also suspect anyone seriously wanting to buy this bike would have more than a passing knowledge of both K's and Sportster;s.
But I could be wrong there as well. (I'm wrong about a lot of things !)

here's a bad thing about forums. We attempt to communicate here using only one of our senses. People can't see the grin on your face as you type. They don't hear the banging on the keyboard or smell the bourbon on my breathe. All the little clues and nuances - the things we often use to help communicate our thoughts.

We should all probably remember that a nod is as good as a wink to a blind man.
"I know only too well the evil that I propose, but my inclinations get the better of me."
Ferrous_Head

Postby mikeslemmon » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:47 pm

at any rate it is illegal to alter vin#s if this bike went to Calif. ( probably other states as well) the CHP would inspect it before a title would be issued. most likely the buyer could loose the bike
mikeslemmon

Postby Mayday53 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:34 pm

In the guise of Toby Keith’s song, “I love this bar”......sing with me....I love this site, it’s my kinda place, opening up the comments, puts a big smile on my face, I love this site....
"Mayday"

"Respect is given, disrespect is earned"
Mayday53

PreviousNext

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions