Emblem colors

All things K & Sportster

Unacceptable behavior

Postby hennesse » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:00 pm

thefrenchowl wrote:Any other stuff is a pale erzatz and should be a 50 points reduction if your AMCA judges knew anything, but obviously they dont.......
Patrick

Patrick,

I am an AMCA judge. You are saying I don't know anything.

Several of the founding members of the OSKRG and frequent contributors to this website are AMCA judges. You are saying that they don't know anything.

And there is an AMCA Assistant Chief Judge, also a founding member of the OSKRG and frequent contributor. You are saying he doesn't know anything.

We've spent a lot of time and effort supporting the AMCA and developing this website, and we really, really do not appreciate you denigrating our efforts, and the efforts of other AMCA judges.

You were previously banned from this website for 30 days for bad behavior. You have now been banned for six months - until September 11, 2019. Perhaps this time you will learn your lesson.

Dave Hennessey
(An AMCA judge since the late 1990s)
hennesse
Site Admin

Re: Emblem colors

Postby Magneto Sportster » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:13 pm

One thing that AMCA judges DO know if the difference between an "original" and a "restored" motorcycle.

An original motorcycle is the pinnacle. Without them, a true "nuts and bolts" restoration would be nearly impossible. The original bikes teach us about the finishes, parts, etc. that our beloved Ks and Sportsters left the factory with.

Original motorcycles are also extremely rare, and should be preserved carefully. I have a handful of original paint pre-1970 Sportsters, and while I enjoy riding them, they are really "special occasion bikes."

Restored motorcycles, on the other hand, are judged in a different category for a reason. Now matter how correct they are, they will never hold the status of an original bike. That doesn't make them junk. I have a few restored Sportsters too, and I ride the heck out of them because I don't worry about running the milage up on them, and I know I can repair any scratches, etc. that they might acquire.

The AMCA created two different categories for a reason. Without a category for restored bikes, there would be a lot of old Sportsters being tossed aside because they don't wear their original paint, or have been separated from some of their original parts. The AMCA was wise when they created the current judging system. We preserve the original bikes, and improve the unoriginal ones when we restore them.

There are a lot more very correct bikes out there because of our restorations. That should not be overlooked in our hobby.

I think there is room for everyone at the table. And, to be honest, nothing brings me more joy than seeing the large groups of Ironhead Sportster/ K riders who convene at our semi-annual gatherings in Hunterdon Co., NJ. Rest assured that originals and restoreds are both welcome.

But hey, what do I know...
-M.S.

Image[url=https://flic.kr/p/Zcv5mY]
Magneto Sportster

Re: Emblem colors

Postby xlh59 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:20 am

Hi all,

thanks for all you contributions to this topic ... I feel a bit sorry, that my post ended in a dispute on AMCA judges. But this is of course a controverse topic.

If you look e.g. at all the restored 300SL gullwing mercedes, it can be stated, that a 500k restauration did result in a 500k reduction of value. Crazy. But there are different approaches on old vehicles:

• you can try to achieve the "as produced" condition (which is basically impossible)
  • you can restore a bike to "better than new" -- which a lot of people do, as this is much easier (you could consider e.g. stainless steel bolts for some parts as "better")
  • you can keep the bike just as it is -- this preserves the individual history of the bike -- and if you are lucky, many parts are original to the bike
  • you can complete your modified bike with correct parts and try to match the patina -- would make the bike look like a "all original survivor"
  • You can do a mix of all of this, as basically any approach is a never ending story -- must of us will propably end up here

Now, in my case I need to re-paint, but I want the paint to be an "original color tone" -- so Daves contribution was extremely helpful. My second question was related to "how close" this color matches the original paint. Maybe informations like this color code should be collected and other colors can be added.

I am still wondering what color was used for the emblem ...

Cheers,
Ralf
xlh59

Oh just say heck with the French !

Postby Noot » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:20 am

Ahh crap...You banned Patrick over that? Patrick has helped so many enthusiasts with all types of technical information and insight - and he wouldn't have to. He's been a big aspect of refueling the bug that we all love about these bikes - and his contributions are always welcome to many of us. I realize he bashed your intelligence (which wasn't really very nice) but come on...you can't be that easily offended... and banned 'til September? That kinda sucks 'cause the rest of us might need him for something. Hey, we're dudes who ride freakin' old iron K Models and kick start ironhead, magneto rippin' Sportsters...kinda outcasts anyway by today's standards, and we're dying off fast - I mean it's your site obviously - and you can do what you want - but I think that was a little severe - I'd rather see you blast back with some facts of your own - maybe he'd learn something too. Just sayin' . . . No disrespect - I'm just Noot
Noot

Previous

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions