Opinions on Aftermarket Magnetos Sought

All things K & Sportster

Opinions on Aftermarket Magnetos Sought

Postby jOe » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:07 pm

I’m looking to buy a vertical Fairbanks Morse style magneto for a project bike. I’d like to get some opinions, feedback on various aftermarket units out there. Basically there’s 3 that keep popping up, the Morris , Hunt and Burkhardt. I’m reluctant to go with an OEM unit for a couple of reasons, saving them for restorations is probably the biggest.
If you have any experience with these, or others that are on the market I’d like to hear it.
jOe

Re: Opinions on Aftermarket Magnetos Sought

Postby Ferrous_Head » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:31 pm

I have two of the Morris's. An X5 front mount and an M3 vertical.
IMO they are the best you can get. The spark from them you could weld with. Dave Shaw is Morris and he is helpful and courteous. All spare parts readily available if you ever need them. He can rebuild what you have.
In the end, with magneto's you get what you pay for, A big investment but the right ones will probably outlast you and me both.
"I know only too well the evil that I propose, but my inclinations get the better of me."
Ferrous_Head

Postby jOe » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:06 am

Yeah, I run an X5 on a ‘65XLCH and I agree. Superior in every respect.
Better than a Skimpy in your Commodore!

Stateside Bogan
jOe

Postby elliot9797 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:41 am

Morris mag=the only way to go
elliot9797

Postby Mutt » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:03 am

I also rebuild magnetos. Other than the new "advance system on some Morris mags, I see all mags as the same. They all have the same parts; points, condenser,rotor and coil. The key is to recharge the rotor. I sent a mag to Morris for my Panhead many years ago and was really ticked when I got the bill. $250 to disassemble,recharge the rotor and reassemble. Never again. I charge $25 a hour for shop labor. It';s about 3 hours labor and $5 to recharge your rotor. That equals about $80

Here's a nice XV-1922 I just finished for a friend of mine that is putting it on his 56 KHRM
Attachments
XV1922 a.JPG
XV1922 a.JPG (103.18 KiB) Viewed 13532 times
Mutt

Postby Nitro57xl » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:51 am

I'm curious how you recharge the rotor?
Nitro57xl

Postby jOe » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:08 am

I’m coming off a bad experience with Joe Hunt.Paid way too much for a ‘rebuild ‘ on an FM which I guess amounted to installation of a few overpriced parts and not much else. If they did recharge the magnets, the charge wasn’t very adequate. It functioned OK, but not great for a couple of weeks and then quit. When they sent it back, the tech told me it ‘was as good as new’. Right.
At some point you just have to cut your losses and stop throwing good money after bad and start over.
jOe

Postby Redpan » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:13 am

Do the rare earth magnets make a big difference?
Redpan

Postby Mutt » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:03 am

Well with my totally awesome 1950's Allen Magneto rotor recharging machine !!!!! The rotor is first checked with a Annis 50-0-50 magnetometer to verify current magnetism, then the rotor charged and the strength rechecked again. I found that anything under 27g
will not fire a motor. The first one I did when I got the machine was a 4 pole Bendix magneto rotor. It was 23-22-23-23. After charging one pole was about 48 and the other 3 were 50. Needless to say it would easily fire a motor
allen magneto charger.jpg
allen magneto charger.jpg (33.51 KiB) Viewed 13494 times
Mutt

Postby Ferrous_Head » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:34 pm

Yes, the rare earth magnets do make the difference.
There are no real secrets with magnetos. The principles have been known for a very long time. But Morris is making magnetos specifically for our bikes. He has worked out where the problems are and addressed them.
Using stronger magnets produces more voltage. He has developed starting systems to overcome the low voltage situation found at slow cranking speeds (starting the damned thing)
I've had competitors (mates of mine) come to me in the pits asking me if I had a spare coil. Both times, Joe Hunts. Last time it was at The Australian Titles in Victoria. How much does it hurt when your magneto fails at the biggest race meet in the year ? The meeting previous to that was at Phillip Island - the most expensive meeting of the year.
I haven't had to touch my X5 in the two years it's been on there now.
I have no problems at all with good stock FM's. A rebuild is in order for most of them by now.
I run the X5 in my race engine because it burns Methanol at very high compression ratios. I need that spark.
"I know only too well the evil that I propose, but my inclinations get the better of me."
Ferrous_Head

Next

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions