Mag Advice and Help with Disassembly

All things K & Sportster

Mag Advice and Help with Disassembly

Postby JerrryR » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:43 pm

I too have now moved into the world of magnetos and would appreciate your advice. First a picture of why I took it all the way down.

Rotor Comparison 2.jpg
Rotor Comparison 2.jpg (129.85 KiB) Viewed 5671 times

I now understand why my tach quit working. First question, is there a trick in taking the bad shaft loose from the rotor? Is it just stuck on? I don't see any type of set screw. My second question, is there a trick in removing the pin from the rotor drive gear? I wound up basically grinding it down with a Dremel to slide the gear off, I could not get the pin to budge any other way.

Rotor Drive Gear 2.jpg
Rotor Drive Gear 2.jpg (99.8 KiB) Viewed 5671 times

Rotor Drive Gear Pin.jpg
Rotor Drive Gear Pin.jpg (158.85 KiB) Viewed 5671 times

Finally since I am this far into it what other parts would you replace?
Thanks
JerryR
JerrryR

Re: Mag Advice and Help with Disassembly

Postby Rubone » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:22 pm

Those shafts are not compatible, that's why you can't figure it out. The OEM H-D shaft/rotor are one piece, the shaft does not come out. The one with the hex is aftermarket (likely Morris) and you need a rotor with the hex hole in it to work. The one piece shaft is still good for an early mag with no tach drive, so don't throw it out.
As to parts to replace, you would be better off with a new coil, and if you get a new rotor you can get one with rare earth magnets and get a bit more slow speed zap. Points and condenser as well.
Rubone

Re: Mag Advice and Help with Disassembly

Postby JerrryR » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:24 pm

Thanks Rubone,
I don't know if I should feel stupid for not realizing the HD rotor was one piece or relieved that it makes sense why I couldn't figure out how to take it apart. I almost went and got the bigger hammer.
JerryR
JerrryR

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions