Sportster trans gears in KH question

All things K & Sportster

Sportster trans gears in KH question

Postby Kurt » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:54 pm

I am putting together a rather mongrel KH engine using some of the early Sportster stuff I have laying around, in order to preserve meager motorcycle funds.i.e. funds my wife does not know about! The KH presently does not have a transmission and I have been told that, given a properly fitting trap door, gears from some Sportsters can be used. I do have a 1971 primary drive assembly and clutch that is in pretty good condition and I was wondering if the gears from a '71 Sportster would fit the KH cases and then useable with the '71 primary drive. I seem to remember reading that the KH primary chain was shorter than the Sportster, though the same pitch.
I also seem to remember that in order to use the Sportster shafts and gears that the countershaft bearing in the KH cases has to be changed. Interestingly I have a few Sportster countershafts laying around and they seem to fit the needle bearing in the KH case just fine. It would be nice if I could use any Sportster trans gears/ shafts as long as the shaft is bored for a clutch release rod.
Any info, suggestions or directions to references would be appreciated. Going thru the internet and printed references can many times be very contradictory!
Kurt

Re: Sportster trans gears in KH question

Postby JerrryR » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:14 pm

Countershaft Group.jpg
Countershaft Group.jpg (238.94 KiB) Viewed 11389 times

Mainshaft Group 1.jpg
Mainshaft Group 1.jpg (223.54 KiB) Viewed 11389 times

Mainshaft Group 2.jpg
Mainshaft Group 2.jpg (68.38 KiB) Viewed 11389 times
JerrryR

Postby JerrryR » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:18 pm

Countershafts 1.jpg
Countershafts 1.jpg (169.5 KiB) Viewed 11389 times

Countershafts 2.jpg
Countershafts 2.jpg (179.07 KiB) Viewed 11389 times
JerrryR

Postby Kurt » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:20 pm

Thank you Jerry, that is really helpful! Did you put the chart together or is it published somewhere?
Kurt

Postby JerrryR » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:36 pm

Hi Kurt,
It is something the OSKRG is working on. It is mostly complete except for some changes needed to the section on mainshafts. If it would be helpful I could send Dave the latest version of the Bulletin and later get him the more complete version. He would post it at the website under Technical. I have a number of parts on their way to me that I hope will clear up some of the mystery's relating to the early mainshafts. These documents are never quite complete or necessarily accurate. They reflect the truth as best we know it today. As more information is collected the Bulletins are updated.
JerryR
JerrryR

Postby Kurt » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:00 pm

I down loaded the chart you sent so that will certainly keep me busy for a while. Now I will be going thru what trans stuff I have and see what else will be needed to build a useable trans and also see if I will be able to use the '71 XL primary drive that came with the KH basket case.
Attachments
IMG_1396.JPG
IMG_1396.JPG (35.19 KiB) Viewed 11311 times
IMG_1396.JPG
IMG_1396.JPG (35.19 KiB) Viewed 11311 times
Kurt

Postby JerrryR » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:34 pm

I am by no means a clutch or transmission expert. Part of the reason for me working on the transmission Bulletin was to learn more about them. Having said that I have a couple observations. Your 71 mainshaft will be solid, it is not designed for the clutch release rod set up used 52-70. Also your clutch gear is longer than the early ones (excluding the -67 electric start and the 70CH). I'm not sure how that will play into all of this, i'm just concerned about it compatibility with the Oil Seal Extension? Finally your trap door is not the earlier one designed to provide a threaded boss for the middle primary cover screw used on the Ks and early sportsters. I hope I have at least this part correct, hopefully someone will correct me if I have any of this wrong.
Good luck,
JerryR
JerrryR

Postby thefrenchowl » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:06 pm

Hi,Kurt,

As a rule, I would not mix and match bits from different gear boxes to make a new one...

In any case, from your 71 box, you can only use all the gears, countershaft and selection in a set of KH cases.

Your clutch gear, clutch, primary drive and mainshaft will not fit and you cannot modify them to suit.

You need to find a dry clutch complete primary drive, ie clutch gear clutch, basket, hub and sprocket

Plus hollow mainshaft…

If I were in your shoes, I would sell this 71 box as a complete and working gear box and find/purchase a complete gear box for a 57/66 XL-XLH or 58/70 XLCH.

These will go straight in your KH with minimal hassle, only checks will be end plays for mainshaft and countershaft.

These will also generally have the trap door with the boss that Jerry mentions if you are using the 3 screws cast alloy primary cover...

Patrick
Flat Head Forever
https://web.archive.org/web/20071011184353/http://www.harleykrxlrtt.com/index.htm
I'm the one who has to die when it's time for me to die so let me live my life the way I want to...
thefrenchowl

Postby Kurt » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:47 pm

Guys, thank you so much for the info, exactly what I needed!! The trans will go on E-bay shortly and the trans recommended have been added to the swap meet list. (If swap meets ever start up again!) This whole project has been really interesting (sometimes very frustrating.) I have had a lot of WL's and ULH's but this is my first K-Model. My daily ride is a 2011 iron Sportster which I love but I miss a vintage bike in the garage.Somehow I keep selling them? When I was younger I thought anyone with a electric starter was a wimp, how much ones getting into later '60's changes ones views!!
Kurt

Postby 55panman » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:59 pm

Can someone tell me the best wet clutch conversion for '70 down Sporty (actually '75 XR750) Looking for best plates and fibres. Thanks, Ron
55panman

Next

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions