Sportster seat question

All things K & Sportster

Sportster seat question

Postby psychwarlord » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:35 pm

Hi all,

I am looking for the mid-late 60's black vinyl buddy style seat(as below) for my '66 xlch build. I have read in a few place online that these were also used on Sprints of the similar era? Or was the sprints a smaller version
Can anyone clarify for me please?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-12-03 at 7.23.55 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-03 at 7.23.55 AM.png (491.66 KiB) Viewed 7540 times
psychwarlord

Re: Sportster seat question

Postby Rubone » Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:13 pm

Sprint seat was the same size and style, but the mounts are different. Those seats were Italian made. Dixie used to sell them, not sure if any of the Dixie re-sellers have any.
Rubone

Postby JerrryR » Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:45 pm

They are not uncommon NOS in white. I have been told that they take black die well and look good. Less common are NOS in black. A nice used black seat brings $250-$300 (my opinion). An NOS white seat brings $250-$300. An NOS black one if you can find one I would value at $450-$500. Look for the two mounting holes on the front bracket.

Saddle and Buddy Seats PB and Legend 013.jpg
Saddle and Buddy Seats PB and Legend 013.jpg (220.42 KiB) Viewed 7474 times
JerrryR

Postby Mikes » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:06 pm

The Sportster seat was sourced from Italy with different brackets and a spacer between the seat and fender. Dave Hennessey gave me the name of a dealer in Ohio that had a stock of Sprint seats and I bought two, one for my ‘66XLCH and another for my friend’s ‘67XLCH. The seats came in white but had black covers in the box. To use the Sprint seat you have to remove the trim, cover, and foam so you can cut off the brackets and weld or braze on the correct brackets for the Sportster. I made jigs to bend the brackets and position them correctly on the seat bottom. You also have to position the fastener for the hard rubber spacer and buy or make the spacer. I bought hard rubber from MSC, cut it to size on my table saw (very dangerous), made a jig, and shaped it over the jig using a heat gun. Once this is all done the foam, cover, and trim need to be reinstalled. I have photos of this but am clueless as to how to attach them here. If someone would send me a PM with an email address maybe that person could attach the photos. I also have the jigs and extra bracket material that I would love to get off my bench for the cost of shipping if someone wants them. Not sure that make sense to NZ but I could send photos of the jig to an email address. It would be very difficult to accurately position the side brackets if you didn’t have the jig attached to the front bracket. There will be notes saying that the rubber spacer rubs paint off the rear fender. Probably true, but that is the way it came from the factory. When my bike finally goes together I plan on using clear plastic between the spacer and the fender.
Mikes

Postby chuckthebeatertruck » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:38 am

There are a couple of repo seat covers available for sprints, but they aren't accurate except for shape. Vinyl is a totally different "grain" and they are matte black.

Indeed reinstalling the trim is a major pita. It's thin alloy and easy to misshape. I left the trim off my sprint and put it in a box for a rainy day project.

The Dixie covers/seats have vinyl much closer to the Oem seats I've seen. I haven't seen them side by side, however.
chuckthebeatertruck

Postby psychwarlord » Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:35 pm

Hi All,

Thanks for the feedback and info on these. I will keep an eye out for a decent one of these. I have seen a few recently that are in average condition. I did see the repro covers on ebay..
chuckthebeatertruck- you're right. The vinyl look right.
mikes- Thanks for the offer. I do alot of metal fabrication so i'm confident i wont have much trouble making up brackets to fit the sportster frame.
psychwarlord

Postby murph » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:44 am

https://www.ebay.com/itm/60S-HARLEY-DAV ... OSwR9JfMCk

It isn't mine but looks as though you could make an offer. See how low he's willing to go.
murph

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions