Oil line compression ring, part # 63529-52

All things K & Sportster

Oil line compression ring, part # 63529-52

Postby Magneto Sportster » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:20 am

Hey guys,

Has anyone found a source for the metal compression rings that get crushed in the oil line fitting on the short rubber oil line on K's and early XL's & XLH's? The part number is 63529-52, and I can't seem to find a source for them. I haven't had any luck trying to reuse the originals because they are crushed on the rubber line and I can't get them off/ back on in the correct position.

I need to change the oil line on my 1960 XLH. What are you guys using?

Thanks,
Magneto Sportster
Magneto Sportster

Re: Oil line compression ring, part # 63529-52

Postby sportsterpaul » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:05 pm

I bought an oil tank on eBay that had the line with the rings and two nuts. Problem is I have an early 52 tank and the line is set up for a 1957 tank. I will try to make it work. Otherwise I was going to cut the hose out from "under" the ring, slip the ring on a mandrel, and try and enlarge it to use again. I am also looking at Ferulok fittings and anything else that uses a compression ring.

Also, I need the angled elbow for the vent line that goes on the tank, 63542-52. also stuff like this only in a bigger size:
https://www.fppoutlet.com/60c-4-compres ... ube-brass/
maybe something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Weather-60X7-Com ... 00KNYFOEA/
sportsterpaul

Postby starcain » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:06 pm

I also faced the same problem with the oil feed line and the compression sleeves when I started the restoration of my 1954 KH many years ago. At the time I couldn't find any new sleeves let alone any new feed lines.The originals are a cloth covered steel reinforced rubber hose that look like they were shellacked. I have since found a couple of original hoses that have become about as hard as a rock. None usable if you had to bend it and my application was for the early oil tank and 90 degree oil fittings so big bend required. I would be interested to know what most of you have done about the oil feed line. I had to make a decision on what to do. I decided to use a modern type 5/16" rubber hose, I think I got it at Napa. The original nut fit over it pretty good without to much effort.The hose fit nicely over the nipple of the fitting and actually fit down into the pocket of the fitting as well.I then took some soft thin steel wire and wrapped it tight around the hose as far up on the nipple as I could get it, tightening the hose onto the nipple. I slid the nut forward until I got thread engagement and tightened. This all might sound unorthodox but it worked and until I sold the bike never leaked. The main reason for mentioning this is that it may be easier to do something like that then it would be to find original sleeves and an original oil feed line. I think that you would need to have an original feed line in order to use the original compression sleeves because the OD of the original line is smaller then what the rubber hose I used was. In other words I wouldn't have been able to get the original sleeves over the later rubber hose. So again, what has everyone been using for this. Is there a hose out there that is close to the original and can take the original compression sleeves? I have since found several NOS sleeves and they are not your typical compression sleeve. They are not tapered on both ends. One end is flat as is the inside on the original nuts.I have attached a picture of the original sleeves with dimensions if someone wants to try and find a suitable replacement. I also have a couple of pretty good used sleeves if someone wants to try and open them back up to stock size. They are about .090" smaller then unused ones. Also included a picture of original feed lines. Not sure if they are for the 90 or 45 degree fittings.
Stan
Attachments
Wire Clamp 1.jpg
Wire Clamp 1.jpg (71.38 KiB) Viewed 19548 times
Both Ends.jpg
Both Ends.jpg (280.2 KiB) Viewed 19548 times
Feed Line.JPG
Feed Line.JPG (93.18 KiB) Viewed 19548 times
starcain

Postby sportsterpaul » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:46 pm

Fantastic information, thanks. I love the idea of using wire. My instinct would be to use solder to smush easity, then maybe brazing rod. It looks like it would be easy to make the ferrules on a metal lathe. THere is a lathe at the woodshop here, maybe its time to join.

Thanks for the great info an pictures.
sportsterpaul

Postby dr dick » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:35 pm

Magneto Sportster wrote:Hey guys,

Has anyone found a source for the metal compression rings that get crushed in the oil line fitting on the short rubber oil line on K's and early XL's & XLH's? The part number is 63529-52, and I can't seem to find a source for them. I haven't had any luck trying to reuse the originals because they are crushed on the rubber line and I can't get them off/ back on in the correct position.

I need to change the oil line on my 1960 XLH. What are you guys using?

Thanks,
Magneto Sportster

lets just make new ones.
we can figure it out.
dr dick

Postby sportsterpaul » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:25 am

Well, I can do a Solidworks model and drawing

63529-52_hose-compression-ring.gif
63529-52_hose-compression-ring.gif (13.51 KiB) Viewed 19465 times

If the good Doctor or some machinist can tell me how to dimension the part best, I can make those changes. Also it needs a little more detail on the chamfer, I just guessed from the image. So what is the distance that the chamfer starts, and what is the dimension of the narrow edge, is it about 0.010?

Now there is the problem that a modern hose is bigger in diameter, we need a 63529-17 that will work with an available oil-gas hose I can get at the auto parts store. My old hose from the -57 tank measures 0.530 OD. The auto parts hose measures 0.550 but it is a little elliptical, so that is a guess. That would only leave a 0.010 ring, pretty thin.

Also the used rings in the picture below measure 0.650 at the big diameter, so that is more than the OP says.

Here is the picture of the hose that came on a -57 tank I got on eBay years ago:
1957-Sporster-oil-feed-hose.jpg
1957-Sporster-oil-feed-hose.jpg (93.02 KiB) Viewed 19465 times

I am also showing a nut that came on another tank, but is sure not the same nut on the hose, despite screwing onto the same fitting. Here is a close-up. Anyone know what that smaller trimmer nut is for?
63529-52_oil-ring-fittings.jpg
63529-52_oil-ring-fittings.jpg (116.65 KiB) Viewed 19465 times

I suspect a 1/8th inch strip of heat shrink around the hose and the nut would squish that enough to retain the hose. Its not like it holds any pressure and the way it sits, there is really no force to tear it off.
sportsterpaul

Postby starcain » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:18 am

Paul, Very cool drawing of the compression sleeve. If you want to, PM me your address and I will send you a new compression sleeve to check out for accurate dimensions.Leaving for Florida on Tuesday so if you want I can send it out on Monday. I believe in fact that there are three different oil feed line nuts. Although I can't see the back of the smaller nut you have pictured I think that is the earliest nut used 52 to ? It is a thin walled nut with no flare on the back side. It looks just like the line drawing one in the parts book. This is the nut that I have on my "53KK as shown in my picture. Then I believe came along a transitional nut that is thin walled but has a flare in the back. Not sure what years these would have come on. Then I believe the latest nut is thick walled with a flare on the back. I think the flared nuts came in Late "56 or "57 but I'm not certain if it was the thick or thin walled flared version. Roger M said his original paint"56 KHK came with one flared nut and one non flared nut. He may have more insight on this. Most of this is speculation on my part. I don't have pictures at this time to proof these points. If someone knows different please post. Let me know if you want me to send the compression sleeve. Stan
Attachments
Oil Feed Line Nut (On Bike).jpg
Oil Feed Line Nut (On Bike).jpg (119.27 KiB) Viewed 19448 times
Oil Feed Line Nuts (2).jpg
Oil Feed Line Nuts (2).jpg (100.14 KiB) Viewed 19448 times
Oil Feed Line Nuts(1).jpg
Oil Feed Line Nuts(1).jpg (109.53 KiB) Viewed 19448 times
Last edited by starcain on Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
starcain

Postby sportsterpaul » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:49 pm

Dude, you are an awesome font of information. I just decided to go to the AMCA swap in Florida myself, its a 2.5 hour drive. I am renting a RAV4 and will pile in a bunch of Sportster parts. I joined the AMCA and wrote the Sunshine chapter to see about reserving a booth.

I will PM you my cell phone, and you can bring the little ring in your pocket and I can measure it on the spot and give it back. If I forget my calipers, I can mail it back to you when I get home.

So it looks like I have oil feed line nuts correct for the 57 tank it came on, and one small nut correct for my 52 engine and 54 chassis. I will keep an eye out for another correct nut. If I find it can sell the 57 hose setup, which has to be a great find for people with the angled engine fitting and slanted outlet on the 57 oil tank.
sportsterpaul

Postby starcain » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:14 pm

I will PM you my cell phone, and you can bring the little ring in your pocket and I can measure it on the spot and give it back. If I forget my calipers, I can mail it back to you when I get home.

OK Paul, sounds good Stan
starcain

Postby sportsterpaul » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:09 pm

Thanks to Stan, aka starcain, he lent me his NOS compression ring, I took measurements, and came up with two drawings. The -52 drawing is what I measured on Stan's part. I also made a -17 part that is 0.005 bigger on the OD and 0.008 bigger on the ID so it will fit easier on a modern oil line. No guarantees with the -17 part. It looks like it will fit inside the early nut I have.

I do note I was able to stuff a modern oil line through that nut and I could even work the stock compression ring on it. I made gif files of both drawings and will post them below, sorry if the big size blows out the thread format.

First, the stock factory part--63529-52 (right click and hit "view image" to see the whole sheet):
63529-52_hose-compression-ring.gif
63529-52_hose-compression-ring.gif (37.62 KiB) Viewed 19310 times

Next is the new part I designed with a slightly bigger OD and ID, the 63529-17 part (right click and hit "view image" to see the whole sheet).
63529-17_hose-compression-ring.gif
63529-17_hose-compression-ring.gif (39.38 KiB) Viewed 19310 times

If anyone wants the Solidworks model or drawing file PM me and I can send it. Stan, thanks a million, I am mailing you back your part and a copy of each drawing Monday.
sportsterpaul

Next

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions