Re: Belly Number Research

Postby BILL WATSON » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:55 am

more numbers
53k-1722 belly number 553-1348
58xlch-1282 belly number758-2118
BILL WATSON

Postby hennesse » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:48 pm

DaveC. sent in a long list of numbers for the Sportsters, which I've added to the data we've collected so far. It was easier to make a web page than try to fit things in here, so...

Click this Here are the RESULTS SO FAR

Keep sending in those numbers!
Dave
hennesse
Site Admin

Postby RON92559 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:34 pm

Another number: S/N 56KHK1288 Belly# 556-1092. There was only a belly# on the non oil pump half, the other half was blank with no sign of grinding, there was also no drain plug hole like in your example. Any ideas why this is like this?
RON92559

Postby EKHKHK56 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:10 pm

Ron A new case half would not have a normal belly number. Mine have 2 digit numbers like 81. Not sure if dealer or factory did that. Drain hole just not machined? Some I have are welded up. Dave when will you pick the winning number? :D :lol: #DavesBellyNumberLotto haha oh this isn't IG :geek:
EKHKHK56

Postby RON92559 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:02 pm

EKHKHK56,

There is no boss in the casting where the drain plug hole would be machined. Another ? to add to the mysterious K KH KHK Harley motorcycles that we love.

Ron
RON92559

Postby ambike » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:25 pm

Click this Here are the RESULTS SO FAR

Keep sending in those numbers!
Dave[/quote]

I've got a question :

From 1962, where's all da' white wimmins,.... I mean H models ?
ambike

Postby thefrenchowl » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:53 am

Hi,

Dave,

I'm a bit surprised you put an x in the % for the K cases machined and belly stamped at the end of the previous model year like if they were an irrelevant anomaly...

These are genuine cases and, on top of it and on their own, absolutly prove the case that there is no relation whatsoever between bellys and serials, whatever twist some wish they could put on the subject...

They also prove beyond doubt that the belly was added at the machining stage while year ident and serial (54 KH per ex) were added later at the assembly stage...

They are also helpful in telling us how many cases might be carried over stock from previous model year. (2715 - 2650 = 65, 1989 - 1149 = 840 etc...)

Patrick
Flat Head Forever
https://web.archive.org/web/20071011184353/http://www.harleykrxlrtt.com/index.htm
I'm the one who has to die when it's time for me to die so let me live my life the way I want to...
thefrenchowl

Postby Magneto Sportster » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:39 pm

thefrenchowl wrote:These are genuine cases and, on top of it and on their own, absolutly prove the case that there is no relation whatsoever between bellys and serials, whatever twist some wish they could put on the subject...

Saying there is "no relation between belly and serial numbers" is not really accurate. Yes, it is possible for an early serial number to have a previous year's belly number, but to me that still show a correlation.

In general, the serial number and belly number should have the identical year prefix. However, if the serial number is early, it is possible for the belly number to have the previous year's prefix. We understand why this is: Harley line bored more cases than they used in a given year, therefor had some extra pairs that they used to begin the next model year.

That is still a strong correlation....at least according to the data analysis curriculum that I teach to my 7th graders.

To say there is "no relation" would mean that any year prefix in the serial number could be matched with any other year's prefix in the belly number, and that is flat out false.
Magneto Sportster

Postby thefrenchowl » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:45 am

MS,

I'm certainly not saying a 66 belly would be right on a 59...

...Apart from replacement cases ; o ), my own 59 had 769 (barred) 770-xxxx bellies on pre 70 CH cases, with small HD 66 hexagonal logo for authenticity at each end and halve.

BUT, if one delete all the info that skews the percieved/hoped-for end result to make the research look better, one opens himself to criticism and rightly so...

I'm just saying the diff between belly serial and engine serial from different year idents should be included in the above data.

One can't pick and choose within these data samples the ones that suits one's train of thought.

I'm also surprised that, for once, I'm the anorak within your bunch!!!

The list above doesn't make any attempt to match the code (555) to the model (56 KHK), it only analyse the serials difference, fair enough. To extend that to a % of slip relative to year production (never really been proved accurate enough...) and then delete the anomalies is pushing the enveloppe.

See my previous graph... No relation whatsoever between BELLY serial and ENGINE serial.

As we say in french, CQFD... Ce Qu'il Fallait Demontrer...

I certainly don't give a damn if me bikes have the right finish/CP bolts or not, but I do care when one wants to analyse irrefutable statistical and historical administrative data...

Cheers, Patrick
Flat Head Forever
https://web.archive.org/web/20071011184353/http://www.harleykrxlrtt.com/index.htm
I'm the one who has to die when it's time for me to die so let me live my life the way I want to...
thefrenchowl

PreviousNext

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions