Dunlop k70

All things K & Sportster

Re: Dunlop k70

Postby sportsterpaul » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:29 pm

Yeah, time warp for sure. I often think abut buying an old Honda 750 to see how it compares to my 77 Sportster. I suspect that's what ambike does, have a whole era of bikes in his collection so he can visit and ride in that time warp. Was that Kawi the one people called the "Widowmaker"? Oh yeah g.o.o.g.l.e. ---- I see it was:
https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/n ... awasaki-h2
sportsterpaul

Postby mikeslemmon » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:06 pm

the killer was the .500 chassis like a bicycle engine like a.dragster
mikeslemmon

Postby ambike » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:23 pm

The 1972 H2 750 Mach IV was indeed the Widowmaker. Although most guys weren't married, the rep didn't stick without reason and tons of 750 's were sold in HouTex.

The 1969 H1 500 Mach III was pretty quick & super pipey in its own right, but the 750 was " badder ".

Haven't seen one of my old buds in over 25 years but we keep up. He was a new H2 buyer when the damned things first arrived. After sending a pic of the latest with a " here you go ", he replied. Heard the usual stories and he added : Dave, that motorcycle was incredible. ( I laughed to myself : Yeah, it WAS until.....! )

There's no doubt, the H2 was " mighty " for the times.

From my experience, the problem most guys had was how smooth the motors ran and the power kept on a' comin'. By that time, the speed was winding-up the frame and trouble in Bayou City followed. ( Absorbed energy does release. ) After an inevitable shunt or two, the cheap-ass jap crap forks were bent / tweaked and under hard acceleration the handling became dangerous at lower velocities. Personally, I've never crashed one. I do collect, but more often than not I've always preferred the solid feel of a Harley.

Another factor contributing to those Oh Crap moments was a STOCK machine's relative quietness at speed. When guys had been riding / racing 250 Bultaco dirt bikes & dirt trackers with open chambers, bumps & noise amplified the action and provided good warning to ease up. But hop on a fresh Widowmaker and it was smooth sailing past anything on the road...until ! The OEM front forks never had enough spring for hard stopping / serious evasive maneuvers, and all rear shocks were junk.

It's easy to be stuck on ALL things ' 60 's, so here's another " foreign " photo :
Attachments
Kawa 1.jpg
Kawa 1.jpg (238.16 KiB) Viewed 8427 times
ambike

Postby Mutt » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:55 pm

DaveC wrote:Let me suggest that the Metzler Lazer series of tires, ME33 on the front and either ME55 or ME99 on the rear, availabile in our sizes (3:50X19, 4:00X18) are state of the art for our use and far superior to the K70. I got that tip from my factory contacts. The Bartels Sportster race team used these exclusively. They are V rated so you can cruse for hours at 141 MPH without fear of tire failure. Doesn't that make you feel better? I have run them on my XR1000 and XLCR for some time and am very pleased with handling. I used to run Dunlop 591's but got into some god awful slides. A close friend and expert road racer crashed his Suzuki Gamma twice because the Dunlop tires simply let go without warning.

Say, you got a XLCR? Would ya mind removing the side cover on the right and taking a picture of the rear cover bracket on the frame's top rail and posting it? I have a frame that the tab broke off and is no where to be found. Just need to see what it looks like and how it is welded to the frame, so I can repair the frame for the guy. Also, on the botom of teh swing arm is a curved tab. It appears there was one on teh bottom of both sides of teh swing arm, as the right side is intact, but the left side has been removed, but you can see the original weld and a tiny piece of the bracket
Thanks
Mutt
Mutt

Postby sportsterpaul » Mon May 01, 2017 5:01 am

Page 2 and 3 of this thread should help you out on XLCR frame tabs. It might be the same as the 1979-81 XL frame tabs as well.
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/show ... p?t=660334
sportsterpaul

Previous

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions