Rear Wheel Hubs

All things K & Sportster

Rear Wheel Hubs

Postby MTaylor » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:50 pm

Hi guys.

I have three distinct rear wheel hub versions (not counting the odd ball -52). Version one has the flange pressed and braised (if that's the right terminology). Version two has the tack welds. Version three has the continuous machine weld. Of course there may be other distinctions of which I am unaware.

Does anyone know the change over dates for these three hub versions and if there are other distinctions I should be aware of?

I'm guessing the machine weld version might be 66 and later since that's when the part number changed, but it's just a guess.

Most importantly for me, I'm trying to determine which version is right for a "59.
MTaylor

Re: Rear Wheel Hubs

Postby strong56KH » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:49 pm

Can you post pictures of your three hub versions? Thanks, Mark
strong56KH

Postby dr dick » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:55 pm

moonie go back to xlforum to my profile an search out threads i started.
one will be about rear hubs.
it gives a full and complete accounting of all the 55-78 hubs.
dr dick

Postby MTaylor » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:44 pm

dr dick wrote:moonie go back to xlforum to my profile an search out threads i started.
one will be about rear hubs.
it gives a full and complete accounting of all the 55-78 hubs.

I've indexed the post, Doc, and it's excellent as far as the bearing arrangements go (which is a great help) but it doesn't explain which weld styles are for which years. It also doesn't distinguish years for the tack welded and machine welded hubs.
MTaylor

Postby thefrenchowl » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:59 am

MTaylor: I've indexed the post, Doc, and it's excellent as far as the bearing arrangements go (which is a great help) but it doesn't explain which weld styles are for which years. It also doesn't distinguish years for the tack welded and machine welded hubs.

Yeah, it's OH SO fine to sit on your bum waiting for the answer...

Get up and do some research work man....

How do you think DD came with most of the answers?????????????????

Unbelievable, not even a Proper Thank You..................

And in 3 weeks time, you're all gonna be so cheepish and wonder, same on the XLF, why DD doesn't post no more.................

Patrick
Flat Head Forever
https://web.archive.org/web/20071011184353/http://www.harleykrxlrtt.com/index.htm
I'm the one who has to die when it's time for me to die so let me live my life the way I want to...
thefrenchowl

Postby MTaylor » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:17 pm

Patrick,

This is Moonwolf, and I've thanked Dr. Dick many times. I've also done a lot of research on which hub goes to which year, but since this isn't indicated by the factory or in any other literature I know of, and since in most cases you can't see the weld even on original bikes once they're assembled, I was hoping for insights from members who have bikes that they believe have the original hubs. If you can suggest any other methods for finding this information,or sources to research, I'd appreciate it.

Did you read my post carefully? I'm a bit baffled that you would find anything there to get riled about. After all, the forum is about sharing information, and that is something I've always tried to do.
MTaylor

Postby thefrenchowl » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:10 pm

Moon,

Please accept my apologies forthe unwarranted outburst...

Patrick
Flat Head Forever
https://web.archive.org/web/20071011184353/http://www.harleykrxlrtt.com/index.htm
I'm the one who has to die when it's time for me to die so let me live my life the way I want to...
thefrenchowl

Postby MTaylor » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:18 pm

No problem, Patrick. I've always value your input as well.
MTaylor

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions