55 KHK Opportunity

All things K & Sportster

55 KHK Opportunity

Postby Mayday53 » Wed May 03, 2017 9:30 pm

Harley Project (2).jpg
A bit custom but 95% original and I have nearly all original parts on hand if not installed
Harley Project (2).jpg (9.64 KiB) Viewed 8790 times

Anyone in the Fargo, ND area want to spend a few days and help me finish my 55KHK? 8-) I am nearing the end of completion as soon as I get the wheels trued.
"Mayday"

"Respect is given, disrespect is earned"
Mayday53

Re: 55 KHK Opportunity

Postby Simon » Fri May 05, 2017 12:27 am

Looks like it will be a sweet machine when done!
Simon

Postby Mayday53 » Fri May 05, 2017 11:25 pm

I certainly hope so...I am nearly 3 years and $13K into it...so far....
"Mayday"

Mayday53

Postby ambike » Sat May 06, 2017 12:18 pm

That's a fair investment.

Add some details....

What's been done ?

Mods ?

Repairs ?

More photos showing the progress are always interesting !
ambike

Postby hennesse » Sat May 06, 2017 9:33 pm

Mayday53 wrote:Anyone in the Fargo, ND area want to spend a few days and help me finish my 55KHK? 8-) I am nearing the end of completion as soon as I get the wheels trued.

Mayday - unfortunately, Fargo still brings memories of that Chipper... Something that I'll bet all Fargonians (FarGone's ?) would like to forget...

You've been working on your Barnster KHK almost as long as this website's been in existence. You've shared your joys and (quite often) your frustrations with the K-model community. We're all rooting for you as you enter the home stretch - and we can't wait to see the finished product.

I'm not as far along as you are, but I am currently truing my rear wheel. I had a pro lace it up. He did it right, but it was way off center with the swingarm and fender. Then I had him offset the rim to compensate. Too much! Now I've got the wheel mounted on the bike, and I'm moving it back a bit - trying to find the best compromise centering between the swingarm and the fender struts. Something on this old gal is a little bent (as is the owner). But perseverance pays off.

We want photos!

Dave
hennesse
Site Admin

Postby Mayday53 » Sun May 07, 2017 9:21 am

Dave...you are right, I found it in 2013, bought it in 2014, had it at a shop for 9 months when I realized he was ripping me off charging me for things that were not even being done. I then brought it to another shop and it has been slow progresss. I am grueling wheels now and when we getnthose done and skinned it will be near time to turn her over. If you recall, I believe my goal initially was to get it done in six months. People scoffed at that and I thought they were wrong… I guess I was a bit delusional on how easy it would be to restore/build this bike. I originally thought I would restored and sell it for profit, but I soon realized this is a project of love for a bike and I will likely keep this one till I'm done riding, unless of course someone offers me the proper "incentive."

As for the mods...strictly cosmetic. I powder coated the sliders, handlebars, and a few other items black because I like the look of black off the pepper red. I am also designing, not yet done, a Street Shorty exhaust. I have the original exhaust but I think I will do something a bit different with it. I also added a more modern shock to help the ride. I kept any of the original parts which were changed out, that way if I ever do sell it the new owner will have the original parts. that all said, the most custom part I'm looking forward to putting on it is my butt and a big grin as I go down the road.
"Mayday"

Mayday53

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions