Shock Absorber Piston Rod Retainers

All things K & Sportster

Shock Absorber Piston Rod Retainers

Postby JerrryR » Tue May 09, 2017 4:15 pm

Hi All,
My normal state of confusion has increased. While messing with my front end parts I ran into a part that is puzzling me, the Shock Absorber Piston Rod Retainers. I thought all of them 52-67 were the same. It turns out that most of them that I have do not have the center fill hole but rather the two holes that the wrench grabs (what do we call that kind of wrench) go all the way through. The set that I have that has the center fill hole and where the two wrench holes do not go all the way through I believe came off of either a 54 K or a XLCH in that the forks were 22 & 7/8ths and the bottom tree was a -52A casting. This many years later though I don't know that what they were on can be relied on as original. I show on the right 2 of the -68 Spring Retainers. they do not have the center fill hole. It seems to me that the logical progression would be to go from center fill hole to no center fill hole and then to the -68 design. Can anyone tell me when the change was made from the no center fill hole to the center fill hole?
Thanks,
JerryR

Retainer, Shock Absorber Piston Rod 1 Cropped.jpg
Retainer, Shock Absorber Piston Rod 1 Cropped.jpg (184.35 KiB) Viewed 4759 times
JerrryR

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions