Vintage California License Plate

All things K & Sportster

Vintage California License Plate

Postby jOe » Sun May 14, 2017 12:43 pm

I have a '65 XLCH motor with a current California title,registration and a pre-1970 black and yellow license plate linked to the paperwork. I may put it up for sale in a few months. The question is; would keeping the original license plate linked to the motor and title add any significant value?
jOe

Re: Vintage California License Plate

Postby EKHKHK56 » Sun May 14, 2017 3:33 pm

I believe it would make the package more attractive. These plates are fairly common on ebay for the plate collectors although getting a bit spendy when you get in the 50s, 60s. ;)
EKHKHK56

Postby jOe » Sun May 14, 2017 5:41 pm

It probably would to a collector in California, but It may not be enough to offset the hassle and expense of dealing with California DMV. I think if it was a complete known original survivor that was going to be restored , in California, it would be more of a factor. But it's not. If I end up building a bike around it, I'd register it in. Nevada anyway. Doesn't seem there's enough upside to make the effort.
jOe

Re: Vintage California License Plate - HELP WANTED

Postby hennesse » Mon May 15, 2017 11:23 am

I went to the California DMV website, and it looks like you can NOT register a Year Of Manufacture (YOM) license plate in California. So I agree with Erik - your plate would make the package more attractive. But it won't add a huge amount of value.

Maryland (where I used to live) and Virginia (where I live now) DO issue "Historic" tags, and DO allow you to register YOM tags.

This got me going on a new project - a list of all the states and whether they issue "Historic" tags, and whether they allow you to register YOM tags.

Take a look at what Nevada does for YOM plates.

-----
Folks - It's gonna take me a long time to go through all the states. YOU CAN HELP. What does your state allow?
hennesse
Site Admin

Postby Jim Garrett » Mon May 15, 2017 12:03 pm

Couldn't get into the summary chart to enter anything, but here is the information for Maine. Maine allows antique vehicle plates for limited use on 25+ year old vehicles and no annual safety or emissions inspection required. A YOM plate can be attached to both front and rear and the currently issued plate has to be carried on the vehicle (in glove box/saddlebag). The YOM plate is not registered.
Jim Garrett

Postby jOe » Mon May 15, 2017 12:47 pm

Actually the bike was registered up to 6/17 with the plate and a matching title, so it's possible to do it- if I retitle it in my name
jOe

Postby hennesse » Mon May 15, 2017 1:33 pm

[quote="Jim Garrett"... but here is the information for Maine. [/quote]

Thanks Jim. I updated with your information.

Fun facts about Maryland...

YOM - you pay for a Historic tag, then you pay $25 to register your YOM (vintage) tag. You now have two tags and two registrations.

When the DMV redid their computer system, they did not include YOM plates. So they do it with a typewriter. One problem is that they have trouble finding their one and only typewriter - the last person who used it stuck it in a closet or somewhere, so they have to go on the hunt for it. Once found, the clerk has to call the supervisor to get a blank paper registration out of the safe. The supervisor has to sign out the number on a chart in the safe. The clerk is not used to a typewriter, and messes up. Can't hit the delete key. So he has to call the supervisor to void the registration, and get a new one out of the safe. Messes up again. Call supervisor again. This can be an all-day process.

I got stopped on the Henderson last summer by a Virginia State Trooper. He asked me where I was going. I said "Nowhere". He said "What?" I said it was too hot out to work in the yard, so I thought I'd go for a motorcycle ride. I added, "So I guess I'm ultimately going home".

Then I gave him my Virginia driver's license, and my TWO Maryland registrations. The registration for the Historic tag still had the "Permanent" sticker attached. The one for the YOM tag looks like it was done on a typewriter (because it was). He stared at each one for awhile, shook his head, and told me I was supposed to have mirrors on the handlebars. He got back in his car and roared off.
hennesse
Site Admin

Historic and Year-of-Manufacture License Plates

Postby hennesse » Mon May 22, 2017 5:08 pm

The State-by-State List of Historic and Year-of-Manufacture License Plates is now complete. See it here
hennesse
Site Admin

Postby jOe » Mon May 22, 2017 10:42 pm

I did it. I was able to transfer the title of the '65 XLCH into my name and keep the original '65 California licence plate, with the actual VIN. I was also able to get a Planned Non Operation (PNO) so the clock won't start running on registration fees and there isn't a liability insurance requirement.
The trick was having the title showing the license plate and a current registration from the previous owner. The registration expired on 5/14/17 but there's a 10 day grace period, so I got in just under the wire. Without that, there would have been penalty fees,a California Highway Patrol inspection with that obnoxious ID plate, title and registration with the ID plate number not the actual VIN and a new license plate. The downside was I got clipped for the confiscatory California sales tax, but the good news; the title shows my home address in Nevada.
So now I have a running,matching case numbers,'65 XLCH motor with a title and the original '65 license plate.

Question; Does anyone make a 8"x 5" license plate frame?
jOe

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions