Oil Separator Deflector Removal

All things K & Sportster

Oil Separator Deflector Removal

Postby jOe » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:04 pm

Can anyone tell me how to remove the oil separator deflector from the cam cover without destroying it ?
jOe

Re: Oil Separator Deflector Removal

Postby strong56KH » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:29 am

I made a cheap simple tool from a bolt, nut and some washers. Take a thick washer for a 7/16" bolt and grind it down on the sides so it is slightly less than the inside diam of the oil separator bushing so it will slip through it. Then grind the ends so it is the width of the outer diam of the separator. It has to be able to slip down at an angle beyond the bottom edge of the separator bushing and then pulled up straight to catch the two edges. I used a 3" long, 5/16" bolt and a small piece of plastic tubing to fill the space in between the bolt and washer to keep the bolt centered. Once you slip the bolt with washer down through the bushing and get it centered underneath the edges of the bushing then you will need a spacer that fits over the top of the bushing and contacts the cam cover. I used a large socket. Slip the socket, open side down, over the threaded end of the bolt, add some washers and the nut, and then tighten. Add more washers as necessary to pull the bushing out.
BushingTool.JPG
BushingTool.JPG (54.6 KiB) Viewed 8847 times
strong56KH

Postby jOe » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:26 am

Thanks--That'll work.
jOe

Postby hennesse » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:48 pm

What an elegant - and cheap - solution!

el·e·gant : adjective

pleasingly graceful and stylish in appearance or manner.

(of a scientific theory or solution to a problem) pleasingly ingenious and simple.

Thanks, strong56KH
Dave
hennesse
Site Admin

Postby wz507 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:48 pm

jOe,

I'd posed the same question previously but did not receive the solution you did. I ended up cleaning it as best I could and decided to leave it in place since the flow is out the valve and anything present should be exhausted out not in.

To keep similar subject matter linked will include a link to that topic here.

http://www.harleykmodel.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=503

Also a response in the above topic contained another useful link showing images of the oil separator.

Mark,

Using your puller, did you actually extract the valve intact without damaging it?
wz507

Postby jOe » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:27 am

I'm not sure if I'll have to pull it. The situation is, the cover and generator came off a '65 XLCH motor, and I'll be putting them on another '65 XLCH motor. I don't remember if the generator had an oil slinger or a washer on the end of the shaft.(I'm away from home now and can't check). The other cover I have is a later ('68<) one with the conical type separator. Depending on what's on the end of the generator shaft, I may need to switch them.
That being said, the generator and cover in question were on a running motor together, so whatever the case parts-wise, the combination was compatible.
jOe

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions