Battery used for K models

All things K & Sportster

Battery used for K models

Postby gabbyjon » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:35 pm

What recommendations do you have for a dry cell battery for a 1954 K model,manufacturer and part # with proper fitment ,thanks
gabbyjon

Re: Battery used for K models

Postby chuckthebeatertruck » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:48 pm

Two quick questions back:
1) 6v or 12v (ie have you converted to 12)
2) what do you mean by "dry cell" -- dry cell usually refers to non-chargeable disposable batteries like lantern batteries. Do you mean sealed or agm batteries?
chuckthebeatertruck

Postby gabbyjon » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:35 pm

6 volt system,dry cell meaning sealed
gabbyjon

Postby jOe » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:36 pm

Back in the '80s before the vast aftermarket of today, replacement 6V batteries just weren't commonly available. I hollowed out the OEM battery casing and stuffed a small Yusa(?) 6V unit in there- even keeping the top on it and retained the original terminals . It worked great and no one ever spotted it. '53 KK sa I recall.
jOe

Postby Ferrous_Head » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:03 pm

A lot of guys are using the new LiPo batteries. These are smaller and lighter than the originals. But I don't really like using them when they are being charged by a rudimentary charging system. They are designed to be charged by a micro-processor controlled balancing charge system.
If the have an internal short they can catch fire. Like a magnesium fire if you pour water on it, it gets worse.
Try SAFA for a battery that replicates the old 6 volt syste, Thy make a number of them. I bought one for my Parilla which was an exact replica.
"I know only too well the evil that I propose, but my inclinations get the better of me."
Ferrous_Head

Postby chuckthebeatertruck » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:46 pm

Thanks for the info.

I use duracell sealed lead acid 5ah batteries in my 6 and 12v bikes. They come in two different formats (horizontal and vertical) and which you choose depends on whether you're running the original hold downs etc. They seem to last about 5 years and hold a charge all winter long.
chuckthebeatertruck

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions