image4.jpeg (43.86 KiB) Viewed 27114 times
image5.jpeg
image5.jpeg (44.07 KiB) Viewed 27114 times
image6.jpeg
image6.jpeg (46.28 KiB) Viewed 27114 times
GaryM2

Re: Replica Battery Box

Postby Mutt » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:09 pm

fiftysevenXL wrote:Hi Mutt - sorry to take so long with a reply; got home Saturday from the Davenport meet with a terrible cold and have been pretty flat on my back since then. I only have the one "52" coded battery that I posted the pictures of; my other "extra line of text" batteries are "54","56",and "57". Regarding the "dots"
around the number code, I'm not sure what they represent, but am assuming the batteries with more dots are later production?; not sure on this. Also, none
of my "extra line of text" batteries have any trace of paint on the lettering. The orange and green paint on the "no extra text" ones seems to hold up very
well, so I would think if the lower numbered batteries ever had paint, there would be some trace of it.
Do the early 125/165 parts books show the "extra line of text" for their battery illustrations? I've never had any lightweight parts books to compare. I was
hoping some other members might have more old batteries for comparison with the ones I have collected.
Roger
PS - I should have said batteries with more "dots" are later production for whatever number code they carry.

Yes, all the 125/165 parts books show the extra line of text batteries. I have a "no extra text" battery dated 1962, no paint. I also have a NOS Panhead 6 volt battery, green paint 1962 date on bottom
Mutt

Postby Ferrous_Head » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:13 pm

I have been using the Shorai batteries for around 6 years. They still work fine. But I run them in a total loss system and charge them with a Shorai Balancing charger. They specifically tell you NOT to let them fall below 13.0 volts or to charge at more than 14.8 volts. So at the very least a well regulated charging system is required.
Having said that I saw one Honda have a battery catch fire with the bikes engine NOT running, just sitting there. The results could have been disastrous had it happened over night with no one to grab an extinguisher handy.
That very disaster DID happen in the factory next door to my brothers factory. They were storing 50-60 Lion batteries from electric powered pushbikes. Caught fire one night and burnt the factory to the ground. That was about a year ago - so not some early problematical issue.
I use then simply because the SLA and AGM batteries simply do not stand up to the vibrations of my racing engine running at WOT. I got tired of losing races because my battery failed. NEVER had a Shorrai fail on me.
But I would think very carefully about using one in a road bike stored inside my workshop.
Oh - and they found out with the factory fire that spraying water on them only makes the fire more intense, so your sprinkler system may NOT help.
"I know only too well the evil that I propose, but my inclinations get the better of me."
Ferrous_Head

Postby starcain » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:31 pm

I also received my new battery box and the one that it was made from today. They do look very good as shown by Gary's pictures. I was hoping to use a 6N6-3B battery in it but the inside dimensions are too small for one to fit. The overall outside dimensions of the box is somewhat smaller then an original Harley battery so the inside dimensions got a little smaller as well. In order to fit a 6N6-3B battery in it would require some serious modifications on the box and the battery going in it. Is there a good usable 6 volt battery that will fit in the dimensions provided? The 6N6-3B's always worked really good for me but I also used an original battery that I cored out. Also note that I don't have terminals coming out of the box. That is the way I ask Chris to do it for me as I wanted to secure the wires my own way. He sent two loose terminals along with the box and they are also very nice.
Stan
Attachments
Dim ( b).jpg
Dim ( b).jpg (332.14 KiB) Viewed 27113 times
starcain

Postby wz507 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:10 pm

According to the dimensions given on the Yuasa Website, if you had a sturdy shoehorn you should be able to coax their 6N5.5-1D, 5.5ah, 6V battery in there. See the 6V section on page 12, of the Yuasa link below, for specifications of the 6N5.5-1D. Googling this specific battery shows it is readily available and reasonably priced. Whether it fits in the subject shells is another question all together. Who is going to be our bellwether and lead us through this battery conundrum?

http://www.yuasabatteries.com/pdfs/Yuasa_Specs_Apps_2015.pdf

The Shorai LFX described previously should also fit, but needs to be placed on its side, as it is too wide to fit in the conventional orientation.

The table below shows the internal battery box sizes of mine and Starcain’s battery boxes as well as dimensions for 2 batteries that should fit.

Battery box dimensions & battery candidates.jpg
Battery box dimensions & battery candidates.jpg (26.58 KiB) Viewed 27111 times
wz507

Postby GaryM2 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:26 pm

How about a 12 volt AGM battery. Will any fit? I have not converted back to 6 volt yet.
GaryM2

Postby wz507 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:01 pm

GaryM2 wrote:How about a 12 volt AGM battery. Will any fit? I have not converted back to 6 volt yet.

The Shorai #2 case comes in either 6 or 12V. At 12V amp-hr rating choices are 7, 9, and 14 ah.

There are conventional batteries on the Yuasa site that would fit (YB2.5L-C) but the ah rating is really wimpy at 2.5 ah.

A more reasonable alternative and what you specifically asked about, a 12V AGM, would be a Duracell. These are winners according to previous posts by “chuckthebeatertruck”. I found a Duracell Ultra AGM SLA 12V 5.5 AH battery (SLAA12-5.5F) - height: 3.98", width: 2.76", length: 3.54" that should fit. I know several people that swear by the Duracell AGMs, and the fact that they are a sealed, no-leak battery makes them especially attractive in my mind.
wz507

Postby GaryM2 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:45 pm

I found a Duracel 12V AGM battery at Batteries Plus that fit right into the case. It was a tight squeeze by the wires but once I got past those it fit right in. I’ll use a pad underneath the battery and something on top to keep it from bouncing around.

Duracel AGM DURA12-5F2. This will work until I convert back to 6 volt.

They did have a few 6V batteries that would work too.

See pics.
Attachments
image1.jpeg
image1.jpeg (103.43 KiB) Viewed 27075 times
image2.jpeg
image2.jpeg (115.24 KiB) Viewed 27075 times
GaryM2

Postby wz507 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:56 pm

You da man Gary - we now have a nice battery for our boxes. Thanks for checking it out.
wz507

Postby strong56KH » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:56 pm

Here's a Kinetik 6N5.5-1D that would fit upright in the new early shell: http://www.powerstridebattery.com/motor ... 1d-battery

http://www.kinetikpower.com/

Don't know anything about this brand. Has anyone used it?
strong56KH

PreviousNext

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions